Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Modern Horror Genre
Ouberry_13 Offline
The Mad Mage

Given 110 thank(s) in 86 post(s)
The Modern Horror Genre
(I apologize if there already is a thread for this, but I didn't see one when I looked)

So, writing an essay on the horror genre of movies got me to thinking about the horror genre of games, and how the horror games followed the same slow trend the movies did, mainly the jump scare and poor design, not to mention this new "action horror" brought about by RE4, which essentially killed any chance for a AAA horror game. And now, the only place horror games come from anymore is small developers who barely get funded, and indie titles.

So please, tell me how you feel, and tell me anything you feel has made horror worse or better, or anything else you'd like to share.
10-30-2012 08:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Xannidel Offline
Banned

Given 181 thank(s) in 155 post(s)
RE: The Modern Horror Genre
I think that the older companies that made horror games (Capcom/Konami for example) are tired of making the same stuff and they try to add other elements to their games (except for the Silent Hill HD bullshit, that was inexcusable what they did.) and I think they are wanting to stick with it. I doubt the original makers of Resident Evil are going to come back to try and re-create what they started. Nothing wrong with Indie companies making horror games, helps them get their feet off the ground with supporters and if AAA companies do not want a piece of that then I say that is their loss.
10-30-2012 09:49 PM
Ouberry_13 Offline
The Mad Mage

You know, I don't think the original RE or SH teams are even part of Capcom/Konami anymore. I mean, I'm pretty sure the RE guys were either booted by Capcom or just left. With the SH team, I'm assuming they left, since the recent SH games do not have the same 'soul' as the originals did, so it feels like someone completely different made it. (I realize that whole 'soul' comment makes me sound like a stuck-up hipster douchebag, but you really can't argue that the new games feel anything like the old games)
10-30-2012 10:07 PM
Xannidel Offline
Banned

Given 181 thank(s) in 155 post(s)
Yeah I forget if Silent Hill 4: The Room or Silent Hill Origins was Konami's final Silent Hill game before allowing American companies to make the IP. And I know the original RE people left Capcom but I forget the reason. If you look at this then it might help make sense of it all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s05c9vC-5...plpp_video
10-30-2012 10:32 PM
Ouberry_13 Offline
The Mad Mage

I actually didn't know Kamiya and Shinji had such a difficult time working together. But hey, they still made some great games.
10-30-2012 11:30 PM
BumblebeeCody Offline
Super Moderator

Given 339 thank(s) in 266 post(s)
(10-30-2012 10:32 PM)Xannidel Wrote:  Yeah I forget if Silent Hill 4: The Room or Silent Hill Origins was Konami's final Silent Hill game before allowing American companies to make the IP. And I know the original RE people left Capcom but I forget the reason. If you look at this then it might help make sense of it all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s05c9vC-5...plpp_video

Wait what? They didn't.

Maybe you should watch 1:22. It explains the evolution step of the series and one I agree with.

There is Dead Space for true atmosphere, story, controls and good scares.
10-31-2012 12:37 AM
retrolinkx Offline
The Rookie.

Given 180 thank(s) in 157 post(s)
If you're going to mention how a non-horror game can be scary to prove some point you may bring up, I suggest Metal Gear Solid 2.

Just search "MGS2 Arsenal Gear" and you'll see why.

For a person who has never been scared of anything from a game, playing this at night, while tired, was probably the scariest thing to happen to me.
10-31-2012 05:30 AM
Hexadecimal Offline
Reboot!

Given 79 thank(s) in 59 post(s)
I can't even remember the last time I bought a horror game. I'm still pissed we didn't get the Fatal Frame that came out for the Wii; I really enjoyed those.
10-31-2012 06:37 AM
Zaliphone Offline
Supreme Geeknerd

Given 53 thank(s) in 46 post(s)
I'm really not a fan of most horror games in general, I honestly haven't found one that's properly scary enough for me.
10-31-2012 07:22 AM
BumblebeeCody Offline
Super Moderator

Given 339 thank(s) in 266 post(s)
(10-31-2012 06:37 AM)Hexadecimal Wrote:  I can't even remember the last time I bought a horror game. I'm still pissed we didn't get the Fatal Frame that came out for the Wii; I really enjoyed those.

Fatal Frame/Project Zero on the Wii is just Fatal Frame/Project Zero on the Xbox 1 and PS2. If you can am Xbox 360 or PS3 with backwards compatibility, then you can just get it on there. But Fatal Frame/Project Zero are easily some of the scariest games I'm played; Condemned being another. Barts Department Store anyone?
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2012 10:47 PM by BumblebeeCody.)
10-31-2012 10:46 PM
Arjahn Offline
Lv. 99 Chicken

Given 206 thank(s) in 165 post(s)
The problem lies in what sells, as it does with most other forms of entertainment nowadays, people just like Jump scares I guess....

A truly good horror story needs to play with your mind, trick you and build stuff up, instead of just having a creepy thing pop out every four seconds while the peon masses piss themselves.

On a sort-of related note, I loved Cabin in the Woods, best movie of da year.
11-02-2012 01:21 AM
Ouberry_13 Offline
The Mad Mage

(11-02-2012 01:21 AM)Arjahn Wrote:  On a sort-of related note, I loved Cabin in the Woods, best movie of da year.

It was pretty good. Very enjoyable satire. And this is how to make a proper satire movie, not those damned "(fill in genre here) Movies." In all seriousness though, it was a good comedy.
11-02-2012 02:47 AM
 Thanks given by: Arjahn , BumblebeeCody