Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can people in the industry know so little?
BumblebeeCody Offline
Super Moderator

Given 339 thank(s) in 266 post(s)
RE: How can people in the industry know so little?
(08-04-2012 09:40 AM)Beardy Wrote:  BUMP.

What bugs me about the gaming industry is their approach to second-hand games. What with digital distribution only platforms like the (hahaha) PSP Go and day 1 DLC that's only included with a new copy of the game (Arkham City, I'm looking at you) or else you have to pay for it, it's basically a fact that the gaming industry thinks second-hand games are ruining them. They don't get that people buy second-hand games because they're cheaper and therefore more throwaway. People buy these games second-hand when they wouldn't buy them new. Remove the second-hand market and they just wouldn't buy the game.

This whole attitude bugs me in terms of legacy as well. Take the NES or whatever. Anyone who grew up with that console can still plug it in and get their nostalgia kicks or introduce their kids to some sweet, sweet Mario. In x years time, when the current consoles (which are kinda the tip of the iceberg... the next generation will probably be worse) are obsolete, all the backup DLC will be offline. Imagine getting a SNES for a few quid, with Donkey Kong Country, looking forward to some retro gaming... only to find that you can't actually get Diddy Kong or any of the animals you can ride which made the game playable, because it was DLC only.

I agree with the whole DLC BS (I was one of the SFxT people who got hit hardest by this BS practice). But, it's true about used game sales. They are an issue but game companies are going about it all the wrong way.

Day 1 DLC is conning the fanbase into being chumps
Disc Locked Content has no relation to used game sales but is about scamming you
Online passes is console DRM (otherwise get locked out-out of all of multiplayer)

These companies attack us for still buying their game when they should really be attacking the stores that profit from used game sales. Not the people who want to support you. Used game sales are a big issue, but don't attack us or you'll end up with a player base like Capcom and EA(Worst company in America).
This 2010 was the beginning of the end really.
08-04-2012 09:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: How can people in the industry know so little? - BumblebeeCody - 08-04-2012 09:53 AM