Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
If you were given the tools needed to make a video game what would it be about?
jordypuff Offline

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
RE: If you were given the tools needed to make a video game what would it be about?
I personally feel there haven't been enough psychological survival horror games this gen. Sure there's been Dead Space, Silent Hill and Resi Evil, plus whatever else there may be, but all of them seem to have strayed too far from being horror games and have essentially become action games with a few screamers and dark corridors thrown in for good measure. I just feel that developers have begun to neglect good game design and originality to create simple cliche games that cater to the modern 12 year old gamer.

With that out of the way I'd like to propose my ideas.

If it wasn't obvious enough, I'd like to create something along the lines of a psychological survival horror game, probably with RPG elements, but nothing too major. Probably a skill system and weapon repair/crafting. I'd like to find a balance between Silent Hill's surreal, psychological elements and combine it with Resident Evil's... Well, Resident Evilness I suppose. I'd like to keep the game set in one location unlike Resi Evil 5's globe trotting bullshit though; something like Silent Hill 1, where you're trapped in some creepy fucking town where you can't escape and you're trying to find a loved one. I'd like to keep the cast small as to allow for greater character development too. Oh and I hate it when characters talk to themselves, be it in video games or movies or whatever. There will be absolutely none of that in my game. Think something like Shadow of the Colossus, where the main character talks in only one or two scenes but his character is developed by his actions as you play. Most of the story/backstory/character development/etc will unfold and become revealed as the game is PLAYED, not through hour long cutscenes (not pointing the finger at anyone in particular, entire Metal Gear Solid series).

I have many ideas, but as you can see most of what I want to do is based on already existing concepts and ideas. It's a shame that I'm unoriginal, but hey, who is anymore, right? :3
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2012 01:28 PM by jordypuff.)
06-30-2012 01:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
. - Slam - 06-26-2012, 09:32 AM
REPLY - Arjahn - 06-26-2012, 01:07 PM
RE: If you were given the tools needed to make a video game what would it be about? - jordypuff - 06-30-2012 01:26 PM