Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Odd Information
Beware of Cuccos Offline
Forum Grandma

Given 134 thank(s) in 95 post(s)
Odd Information
I love odd information, and just generally interesting information. That's what attracted me to DYKG in the first place. There are some good articles and easter eggs out there. (I've found a lot on Cracked) What are some you have found?

Don't feel like it has to be about gaming. Music, movies, television, etc. are all welcome!

Here's a gaming one I found on Cracked this morning.
07-20-2012 01:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Noble Offline
Zed's Demise

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
RE: Odd Information
Cracked is amazing, I've been reading it since last year.
They rarely have articles that I don't find interesting to read.
Anyway, since I'm guessing you've read most (if not all) game-related articles on Cracked, here is a really interesting one I've found a while ago:

http://www.gameranx.com/features/id/5634...deo-games/

Quite a few interesting facts are in there!
07-20-2012 01:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SERIOUSLY THOUGH Offline
Solo Diver

Given 689 thank(s) in 484 post(s)
Cracked is and endless source of entertainment (and unwarranted procrastination!)

There's this Mauritian newspaper I read (from when I lived there, I don't just read random newspapers Big Grin ) that often has totally ridiculous stories (but stories they take totally seriously) along the lines of "He saw evil dwarves walking along the road" and "posessed, he ate a whole packet of cigarettes"

I'll try and find some of the better articles (but they're in French)
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2012 02:50 AM by SERIOUSLY THOUGH.)
07-20-2012 02:50 AM
 Thanks given by: BumblebeeCody
BumblebeeCody Offline
Super Moderator

Given 339 thank(s) in 266 post(s)
Yeah indeed. I could link plenty of interesting Cracked articles but you already know what to expect.

It's not just Cracked, a lot of websites like this or this. Must not keep clicking on links!
07-20-2012 05:05 AM
SERIOUSLY THOUGH Offline
Solo Diver

http://www.lexpress.mu/services/epaper-1...ere-b.html

Here's one of the articles I was talking about. I've translated the more fun extracts because half of it's in Mauritian Creole so google translate would go mad Tongue

"MOMOY IS PARALYSED IN FEAR, HE SHAKES IN FEAR. AND HIS BOTTLE OF WINE WASN'T EVEN OPEN"

He was cycling to the local store. All of a sudden, close to the cemetary St George, he spotted gnomes giving him the evil eye. He was so shaken that he lost the capacity to speak. Transported to hospital, the young man was examined by several medis. Some even tried to get him institutionalised...

"A local boy was picking weeds in the cemetary" - Since wednesday morning, the news is sending shockwaves acros the regions of Bain-des-Dames and Cassis.

...went to buy a bottle of wine. But once he reched the junction of the cemetary St-George and East, he nearly falls off his bike. He doesn't believe his eyes. He sees... seven small gnomes. They're walking in single file, are hardly 50cms in height and wear babouches (SERIOUSLY THOUGH'S note - a kind of slipper that you find in that part of the world). The gnomes have a menacing look about them and stare right at him.

...Two days after the incident - therefore on thursday afternoon, near 4:30 PM - Momoy finally regains the ability to speak.

This is the sort of excellent newspaper articles you get in that country Big Grin
07-20-2012 05:20 AM
Beware of Cuccos Offline
Forum Grandma

These are all great!!
07-20-2012 07:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Symphony Offline
I lack imagination

Given 17 thank(s) in 15 post(s)
I've never read Cracked, but after taking a look at the article OP posted, I'm pretty sure it'll stay that way if the articles are all like that.
The guy simply had no solid base during 90% of his arguments. I mean think about it: if you read this article and see these are the best examples he can come up with, then find out they're all taken out of context, half-truths, and full-blown lies; his credibility just drop a pit.
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2012 07:28 AM by Symphony.)
07-20-2012 07:27 AM
Nuudoru Offline
Neckbearded Admin

Given 230 thank(s) in 176 post(s)
(07-20-2012 07:27 AM)Symphony Wrote:  I've never read Cracked, but after taking a look at the article OP posted, I'm pretty sure it'll stay that way if the articles are all like that.
The guy simply had no solid base during 90% of his arguments. I mean think about it: if you read this article and see these are the best examples he can come up with, then find out they're all taken out of context, half-truths, and full-blown lies; his credibility just drop a pit.

And this is why I can't enjoy or care about Cracked. Terrible site.
07-20-2012 07:31 AM
BumblebeeCody Offline
Super Moderator

Given 339 thank(s) in 266 post(s)
(07-20-2012 07:27 AM)Symphony Wrote:  I've never read Cracked, but after taking a look at the article OP posted, I'm pretty sure it'll stay that way if the articles are all like that.

That's why I read it! XD

Quote:Herpus Mc-frikkin-derpus what can I say today?
*Thinks*
Lets talk about video game racism
*punches keyboard like a monkey with a brain slug*
I am smrat! I make article!

It's just fun to read really. It's like a tabloid newspaper (like The Sun/Kotaku). I hate admit it but I do enjoy reading these.
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2012 09:07 AM by BumblebeeCody.)
07-20-2012 09:06 AM
Zaliphone Offline
Supreme Geeknerd

Given 53 thank(s) in 46 post(s)
The Cracked article about prejudices in video games was actually interesting and I thought it was cool. Until it mentioned Resident Evil 5. No shit you're going to be killing black people...you're in freaking Africa! That one always gets me a bit pissed.
07-21-2012 05:25 AM
philliphourglass Offline

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)
Mental Floss is a good source of more accurate random tidbits, but Cracked has its own comedic appeal. Though it isn't really about trivia and the like, seanbaby's articles are absolutely hilarious.
07-21-2012 07:52 AM
Beardy
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)
Ducks are the only animal to have been observed practicing homosexual necrophilia. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
07-23-2012 12:03 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Beware of Cuccos Offline
Forum Grandma

(07-23-2012 12:03 PM)Beardy Wrote:  Ducks are the only animal to have been observed practicing homosexual necrophilia. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Now THAT is odd information.
07-23-2012 12:31 PM
SERIOUSLY THOUGH Offline
Solo Diver

(07-23-2012 12:03 PM)Beardy Wrote:  Ducks are the only animal to have been observed practicing homosexual necrophilia. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I... don't think I needed to know that
Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2012 03:51 PM by SERIOUSLY THOUGH.)
07-23-2012 03:50 PM
Nuudoru Offline
Neckbearded Admin

Given 230 thank(s) in 176 post(s)

Not true. Pinguins as well. It was discovered pretty recently though.
07-23-2012 05:49 PM