Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nintendo's choices
Skarro Offline
I AM HOLLYWOOD

Given 59 thank(s) in 46 post(s)
Brick Nintendo's choices
Does anyone else here think that Nintendo's choice in naming there new consoles 3DS and Wii U was a horrible marketing choice? I understand it latches familiarity to the product. But it must not make up for the loss in sales do to confusion and the general slight feeling that your not getting this brand new system. I think people would be slightly more intrigued in buying these systems if they were called The Nintendo Revolution and True3D or something. Makes it sound like a bigger console gap instead of sounding like an expansion... Wii U sounds less powerful then Revolution

idk, just a thought.
07-12-2012 12:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Duago Offline

Given 13 thank(s) in 11 post(s)
RE: Nintendo's choices
(07-12-2012 12:38 PM)Skarro Wrote:  Does anyone else here think that Nintendo's choice in naming there new consoles 3DS and Wii U was a horrible marketing choice? I understand it latches familiarity to the product. But it must not make up for the loss in sales do to confusion and the general slight feeling that your not getting this brand new system. I think people would be slightly more intrigued in buying these systems if they were called The Nintendo Revolution and True3D or something. Makes it sound like a bigger console gap instead of sounding like an expansion... Wii U sounds less powerful then Revolution

idk, just a thought.

Yeah in my opinion the familiarity they were going for backfired on them. Instead of being like ds 2 or something where it's obviously the new version, they went with 3ds which to the layperson is just a ds with 3d and who cares about that. They look like they will be hitting the same issue when wii-u hits. In fact both CNN and Jimmy Kimmel thought it was just a new controller for the existing wii.
07-12-2012 12:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sirion Offline
irion-irion-irion

Given 29 thank(s) in 26 post(s)
I don't think 3DS is a bad name at all, and since it's not so different from the original DSs, it even makes sense, even if it's a new system.

But for Wii U... well, I guess I have to agree. It's a strange name. But I can live with that. And by the time Wii was announced, I remember Nintendo saying that they chose "Wii" over "Revolution" because it was easier to spell in different countries and cultures. It makes sense. Someone that can't correctly pronounce a name will avoid saying it, and thus, avoid talking about it (I, for instance, don't like to talk about Rdio. I love what it is, but hate this stupid name). And Nintendo wanted people to talk about Wii.
07-12-2012 02:13 PM
Skarro Offline
I AM HOLLYWOOD

They could have different names for different languages. Seemed ok in the past.

Its the fact that it's not so different from the DS that makes it such a bad choice! Nothing is defining it as a new console except 3D! So the immediate reaction for casual gamers who aren't going to research this is "OH, THEY MADE A DS WITH 3D, HMM WELL I DON'T LIKE 3D AND I HAVE A DS SO PASS"
07-12-2012 02:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Arjahn Offline
Lv. 99 Chicken

Given 206 thank(s) in 165 post(s)
I definitely find a problem with the naming, mostly that it doesn't quite seem like a "New" console generation to me like previous iterations, namely the Wii U. Let's look at it historically,
Gameboy- Gameboy Color - Gameboy Advanced - Nintendo DS - Nintendo DSi - Nintendo 3DS
NES/Famicom - Super NES/Super Famicom - Nintendo 64 - Nintendo Gamecube - Wii - Wii U

I suppose they used to do it that way, and it's the same exact pattern with the Handheld names, but there just isn't a big leap from Wii to Wii U as there was in N64 - Gamecube or Gamecube - Wii.
It's just not quite as exiting Sad
07-12-2012 02:27 PM
Nuudoru Offline
Neckbearded Admin

Given 230 thank(s) in 176 post(s)
I love the name Nintendo 3DS. It's a fun pun based on the DS. Seems kind of oldschool for when you just added "Super" to the Nintendo.

I agree with WiiU being a terrible choice for marketing purposes. Nintendo said in an interview that people still ask if it's an add-on for Wii since the design has some similarity. The name also makes me feel dumb when I say it out loud.

Wheeee-uuuuhh..
07-12-2012 07:49 PM
retrolinkx Offline
The Rookie.

Given 180 thank(s) in 157 post(s)
I prefer their names that they make up, even if they are just "name"-"name","number"-"name" or "name"-"letter".

Gamecube is a better name than Dolphin, even if it was just a a prototype name, and the Wii-U is fine too, sure it sounds odd, but it's another name that they've come up with to an extent, even though I have no idea how they thought. "YEP, THAT'S GOOD"

Still, 3DS is fine, I don't remember anyone complaining about the Nintendo 64. Even though I hope the 3DS won't be plagued like the DS and N64 were with "gamename THREE-DEE" it's been going on for a year, but hopefully it won't carry on, we had enough of that for both consoles.
07-12-2012 07:58 PM
dafchunk Offline

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)
They might not be the best names but there easy for kids to remember. And that's what sells.
07-12-2012 08:08 PM
Beardy
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)
3DS as a name seems fine to me. The Wii has always sounded a bit dumb. Remember when it first came out and everyone was all "but....urine"? And yeah, Wii-U sounds even weirder (Wii-der?).
07-12-2012 08:13 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Skarro Offline
I AM HOLLYWOOD

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/07/12/get...-nintendo/

want
07-13-2012 07:58 AM
 Thanks given by: BumblebeeCody
Nuudoru Offline
Neckbearded Admin

Given 230 thank(s) in 176 post(s)
(07-13-2012 07:58 AM)Skarro Wrote:  http://mynintendonews.com/2012/07/12/get...-nintendo/

want

We don't have Club Nintendo in Sweden.

Welp, time to cry.
07-13-2012 08:09 AM
Beardy
Unregistered

I don't go for stuff like that myself, actual physical gaming merchandise (aside from t-shirts, I guess). I don't know whether this makes me happy or sad.
07-13-2012 08:31 AM
 Thanks given by: BumblebeeCody
BumblebeeCody Offline
Super Moderator

Given 339 thank(s) in 266 post(s)
(07-13-2012 08:31 AM)Beardy Wrote:  I don't go for stuff like that myself, actual physical gaming merchandise (aside from t-shirts, I guess). I don't know whether this makes me happy or sad.

Would love to invite you to come and see my room ;D I'm out by 1000 stars to buy those as well. Which sucks because I just ordered Hanafuda cards from NoE

I think Nintendo need to raise the middle finger to everyone that considers themselves a hardcore. There is no such thing. The reason why the Wii "sucked" is because they lacked the graphical/processing power to display games like Uncharted/Gears/Final Fantasy XIII. But now that Nintendo have stepped up in the graphical department, they're now catering to "U", rather than "them".

I think having the name WiiU is BRILLIANT for a marketing choice. For us Nintendo fans, no it sucks, but for them, think about it. You have the world won over with a console named Wii, now they bring out another console which has name very similar to Wii. Instantly grabs your Granpapas attention again. If they called it the Revolution do you thinks Pops and Mams is going to be interested? They won't drop the WiiU name.

(This post was last modified: 07-13-2012 09:56 AM by BumblebeeCody.)
07-13-2012 09:55 AM
Beardy
Unregistered

(07-13-2012 09:55 AM)BumblebeeCody Wrote:  Would love to invite you to come and see my room

I will forever quote you on that. Would you like to see my etchings?
07-13-2012 09:59 AM
BumblebeeCody Offline
Super Moderator

Given 339 thank(s) in 266 post(s)
(07-13-2012 09:59 AM)Beardy Wrote:  
(07-13-2012 09:55 AM)BumblebeeCody Wrote:  Would love to invite you to come and see my room

I will forever quote you on that. Would you like to see my etchings?

Sure tings mandemz
07-13-2012 10:07 AM