Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Manhunt
Skarro Offline
I AM HOLLYWOOD

Given 59 thank(s) in 46 post(s)
Information Manhunt
Since late 2003, not only is it banned, but to have possession of the game Manhunt in New Zealand is a crime.
07-08-2012 10:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fredned101 Offline

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
RE: Manhunt
What do you expect with a game with a cover looking like this?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

07-08-2012 10:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cingchris Offline

Given 105 thank(s) in 94 post(s)
(07-08-2012 10:25 AM)Skarro Wrote:  Since late 2003, not only is it banned, but to have possession of the game Manhunt in New Zealand is a crime.

Wasn't that over some huge controversy about some kid getting murdered by another kid and then everyone blaming it on violent video games, specifically Manhunt...*shakes head* society can be so stupid sometimes.

Edit: Never mind that was in the United Kingdom, not New Zealand and the ban happened before the murder.
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2012 10:51 AM by cingchris.)
07-08-2012 10:38 AM
Fredned101 Offline

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
(07-08-2012 10:38 AM)cingchris Wrote:  
(07-08-2012 10:25 AM)Skarro Wrote:  Since late 2003, not only is it banned, but to have possession of the game Manhunt in New Zealand is a crime.

Wasn't that over some huge controversy about some kid getting murdered by another kid and then everyone blaming it on violent video games, specifically Manhunt...*shakes head* society can be so stupid sometimes.

If you're talking about "Do Video Games Cause Violence", I had to do a whole paper on this topic...
07-08-2012 10:47 AM
SirCheesedip Offline
Man of Many Hats

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
This is kind of similar got this straight from wiki: "Following a meeting in Toronto on 22 December 2003 between Bill Hastings, the Chief Censor of New Zealand, and officials from the Ontario Ministry of Consumer and Business Services, Manhunt became the first computer game in Ontario to be classified as a film and was restricted to adults on 3 February 2004." Can anyone confirm it's a fact despite living in Ontario I'm unsure if this is true.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhunt_(series)#Canada
07-08-2012 10:55 AM
cingchris Offline

(07-08-2012 10:47 AM)Fredned101 Wrote:  

If you're talking about "Do Video Games Cause Violence", I had to do a whole paper on this topic...

I've just always found it to be a bull crap topic in my opinion because when I see an act of violence in a video game I don't think "Oh it happened in this fictional world, well then it must be acceptable in real life.", If you think that then you are obviously mentally ill and shouldn't be playing video games in the first place. *sigh* Sorry for seeming like such a douche about that, but I have formed a very strong opinion on the topic.
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2012 10:56 AM by cingchris.)
07-08-2012 10:55 AM
BumblebeeCody Offline
Super Moderator

Given 339 thank(s) in 266 post(s)
(07-08-2012 10:55 AM)cingchris Wrote:  

I've just always found it to be a bull crap topic in my opinion because when I see an act of violence in a video game I don't think "Oh it happened in this fictional world, well then it must be acceptable in real life.", If you think that then you are obviously mentally ill and shouldn't be playing video games in the first place. *sigh* Sorry for seeming like such a douche about that, but I have formed a very strong opinion on the topic.

Ha yeah. It's sad how, millions of people buy Counter Strike and play it for hours on end. But ONE out of the millions of people, kills someone and therefore videos games are bad/need to be banned. It's pathetic that people imitate what they see in games/movies or real life and the parents blame the games/film/personal act for being an influence. It's not up to Manhunt/The Matrix/Miley Cyrus to raise your kids.
07-08-2012 11:21 AM
 Thanks given by: cingchris
cingchris Offline

(07-08-2012 11:21 AM)BumblebeeCody Wrote:  

Ha yeah. It's sad how, millions of people buy Counter Strike and play it for hours on end. But ONE out of the millions of people, kills someone and therefore videos games are bad/need to be banned. It's pathetic that people imitate what they see in games/movies or real life and the parents blame the games/film/personal act for being an influence. It's not up to Manhunt/The Matrix/Miley Cyrus to raise your kids.

Completely agree with you there it's the parents job to instill values and boundaries of social acceptance into their children, not society's job. Angry
07-08-2012 11:41 AM
BumblebeeCody Offline
Super Moderator

(07-08-2012 11:41 AM)cingchris Wrote:  
(07-08-2012 10:38 AM)cingchris Wrote:  Wasn't that over some huge controversy about some kid getting murdered by another kid and then everyone blaming it on violent video games, specifically Manhunt...*shakes head* society can be so stupid sometimes.

Completely agree with you there it's the parents job to instill values and boundaries of social acceptance into their children, not society's job. Angry

What's also sad is I've heard far worse stories of mothers who neglect their baby(ies)/kid(s) because they are addicted to Farmville...
Call of Duty if a murder simulator in the same way that Trauma Center makes me a qualified surgeon
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2012 12:44 PM by BumblebeeCody.)
07-08-2012 12:42 PM
Skarro Offline
I AM HOLLYWOOD

(07-08-2012 10:38 AM)cingchris Wrote:  Wasn't that over some huge controversy about some kid getting murdered by another kid and then everyone blaming it on violent video games, specifically Manhunt...*shakes head* society can be so stupid sometimes.

Though I do think games do not imprint lasting violence into children. Can I ask you if there was anything your parents could have done to stop you from playing a specific game or watching a show besides tying you up and never letting you leave the house? I for one would just find a friend with lax parents and lie and say they dont have this game or show.. I understand your saying it's up to parents to place these values in there children so game influence shouldn't matter.., but if they did honestly believe that it is doing harm, and there is no 100% proof to show otherwise, it's not ridiculous for them to want it banned.

I do agree with you guys, but this seems like a one sided discussion and I always look at things from both ends.
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2012 12:46 PM by Skarro.)
07-08-2012 12:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BumblebeeCody Offline
Super Moderator

(07-08-2012 12:43 PM)Skarro Wrote:  
(07-08-2012 10:47 AM)Fredned101 Wrote:  If you're talking about "Do Video Games Cause Violence", I had to do a whole paper on this topic...

Though I do think games do not imprint lasting violence into children. Can I ask you if there was anything your parents could have done to stop you from playing a specific game or watching a show besides tying you up and never letting you leave the house? I for one would just find a friend with lax parents and lie and say they dont have this game or show.. I understand your saying it's up to parents to place these values in there children so game influence shouldn't matter.., but if they did honestly believe that it is doing harm, and there is no 100% proof to show otherwise, it's not ridiculous for them to want it banned.

I do agree with you guys, but this seems like a one sided discussion and I always look at things from both ends.

It's not really one-sided because if you're using an un-educated statistic. "Games are bad because of this one murder, but we never recognise the fact that that the millions of other people haven't been affected by the game".
I can tell you now dude, the stories of crimes that happen due to game influence have pretty been with a kid who's in early teens at minimum. If you're past the age of 12 and are (somehow) influenced by games to re-enact them, then you're clearly a mentally disabled idiot.
07-08-2012 12:54 PM
cingchris Offline

Just gonna go ahead and say we are getting a little off topic here and should continue this in another thread specifically made for it by one of us or end it quick.
07-08-2012 01:12 PM
Skarro Offline
I AM HOLLYWOOD

(07-08-2012 12:54 PM)BumblebeeCody Wrote:  
(07-08-2012 10:55 AM)cingchris Wrote:  I've just always found it to be a bull crap topic in my opinion because when I see an act of violence in a video game I don't think "Oh it happened in this fictional world, well then it must be acceptable in real life.", If you think that then you are obviously mentally ill and shouldn't be playing video games in the first place. *sigh* Sorry for seeming like such a douche about that, but I have formed a very strong opinion on the topic.

It's not really one-sided because if you're using an un-educated statistic. "Games are bad because of this one murder, but we never recognise the fact that that the millions of other people haven't been affected by the game".
I can tell you now dude, the stories of crimes that happen due to game influence have pretty been with a kid who's in early teens at minimum. If you're past the age of 12 and are (somehow) influenced by games to re-enact them, then you're clearly a mentally disabled idiot.

I already said I agree, and asked what if you did believe games hurt children mentally despite this evidence. It was sort of like a.. "hey lets leave the parent alone there only trying to do there job despite being ignorant" sort of thing. As a parent for example I fear the image placed by barbie commercials into my daughters head and all of my power goes into avoiding diva and "perfect women" role models and despite all of my effort society slips it in. And instead of spending 20 years researching if it matters or not i'd rather just vote against it...who cares it's barbie right? I can just relate to these ignorant parents is what i'm getting at. The only true way to prevent something from society being imprinted onto your children is to go straight omish... Confused ...hmmmm....I'll ttyl

To CingCris: It's my thread I WILL ALLOW IT! *Fist slam*
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2012 02:27 PM by Skarro.)
07-08-2012 02:24 PM
cingchris Offline

(07-08-2012 02:24 PM)Skarro Wrote:  
(07-08-2012 11:21 AM)BumblebeeCody Wrote:  Ha yeah. It's sad how, millions of people buy Counter Strike and play it for hours on end. But ONE out of the millions of people, kills someone and therefore videos games are bad/need to be banned. It's pathetic that people imitate what they see in games/movies or real life and the parents blame the games/film/personal act for being an influence. It's not up to Manhunt/The Matrix/Miley Cyrus to raise your kids.

I already said I agree, and asked what if you did believe games hurt children mentally despite this evidence. It was sort of like a.. "hey lets leave the parent alone there only trying to do there job despite being ignorant" sort of thing. As a parent for example I fear the image placed by barbie commercials into my daughters head and all of my power goes into avoiding diva and "perfect women" role models and despite all of my effort society slips it in. And instead of spending 20 years researching if it matters or not i'd rather just vote against it...who cares it's barbie right? I can just relate to these ignorant parents is what i'm getting at. The only true way to prevent something from society being imprinted onto your children is to go straight omish... Confused ...hmmmm....I'll ttyl

To CingCris: It's my thread I WILL ALLOW IT! *Fist slam*

Well if that's the case then I see where you are coming from it just seems like society has degraded and parents are letting all the bad influences into their homes instead of trying to protect against it while you can never completely thwart it you can still do better than some parents do, it just seems like parents are just starting to allow it and then when something bad happens because of this they blame society when really they're no better because they allowed it I know not all parents are like this but the ones that are just disgust me...it's just terrible. (And yes I know how much of a cliche it is for me a 17 year old to say it, but my age doesn't stop me from observing the world and seeing problems with it.)
07-08-2012 03:37 PM
Berry Offline
The Senior Starman

Given 94 thank(s) in 74 post(s)
(07-08-2012 10:55 AM)cingchris Wrote:  I've just always found it to be a bull crap topic in my opinion because when I see an act of violence in a video game I don't think "Oh it happened in this fictional world, well then it must be acceptable in real life.", If you think that then you are obviously mentally ill and shouldn't be playing video games in the first place. *sigh* Sorry for seeming like such a douche about that, but I have formed a very strong opinion on the topic.

I'm right with you on that part and just about every point you made
07-13-2012 09:54 AM