Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dragon's Dogma
Beardy
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)
Dragon's Dogma
Finally got around to starting Dragon's Dogma. Only just starting out, but it seems to be pretty good to me. Anyone else played it?
07-06-2012 02:51 AM
Quote this message in a reply
damerdar Offline
Alpha Nerd

Given 18 thank(s) in 17 post(s)
RE: Dragon's Dogma
I really want to get it, but alas, I am poor. Can I experience it vicariously through you?
07-06-2012 05:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
zspartancats Offline

Given 11 thank(s) in 10 post(s)
Dragon's Dogma is a fun game but its plagued with flaws. Most of them aren't noticeable right away but become pains in your side.

This game has a huge area to explore, with some what varying types of terrain. I'm still in the first part of the game, So I haven't explored everything. Sadly, this game doesn't have a fast travel system. So you'll spend a lot of time running, then running out of stamina. Repeat until you've gotten to your objective.

The best aspect of this game would be its combat. I love how involved some of the fights are with bigger enemies. You've got climb on some of the them and strike key points to do mass damage. Its overall a rewarding experience.

The biggest thing I hate about this game are the pawns (Pawns are companions you recruit). They won't shut the heck up. You'll here the same dialogue from them over and over. "Arisen, wolves hunt in packs", "Arisen, wolves hunt in packs". If you get past that, they can offer some good quest advice.

Its still a great game.
07-06-2012 06:50 AM
Xannidel Offline
Banned

Given 181 thank(s) in 155 post(s)
Was thinking about getting it soon but I am unsure if I would like it or not.
07-06-2012 07:08 AM
Beardy
Unregistered

Yeah, the lack of fast travel is a bit annoying. I'm looking forward to levelling up loads so I can cut through woods and stuff without getting totally murdered. The combat is ace, it's nice when an RPG had solid combat mechanics.

I'm not that fussed about the pawns, I tend to answer them back, muttering "yeah, I know that, you knobhead" at the telly.

Overall it's a lot of fun so far, but I'm not that far in.
07-06-2012 07:22 AM
Beardy
Unregistered

I've just spent a good few hours tonight on this game and finally got properly into it. Absolutely brilliant whilst being a little bit awful, too.
07-11-2012 10:09 AM
Xannidel Offline
Banned

What is awful about it? I know the lack of fast travel can be annoying and how enemies respawn ect.
07-11-2012 10:33 AM
Beardy
Unregistered

(07-11-2012 10:33 AM)Xannidel Wrote:  What is awful about it? I know the lack of fast travel can be annoying and how enemies respawn ect.

The checkpoint system is pretty terrible. The pawns not only jabber away endlessly, but they're pretty stupid; not using appropriate attacks when it'd be REALLY handy and stuff like that. Also, since I'm fairly low-level my pawns are too. This basically means I spend half the time in any big battle running around and reviving them instead of actually fighting.

That's the bad, but there's an awful lot of good to make up for it.

Edit - I've not had any gripes with enemies respawning...
07-11-2012 10:39 AM
Xannidel Offline
Banned

Hmm I have watched a few reviews on DD and almost all of them had mentioned the amount of fighting you have in the world. Maybe it wasn't respawning enemies but the same enemies would stay there instead of mixing it up or something like that.
Also is it the captions of the pawns that tick you off because isn't there an option to remove the pawn captions?
07-11-2012 10:53 AM
Beardy
Unregistered

(07-11-2012 10:53 AM)Xannidel Wrote:  Hmm I have watched a few reviews on DD and almost all of them had mentioned the amount of fighting you have in the world. Maybe it wasn't respawning enemies but the same enemies would stay there instead of mixing it up or something like that.
Also is it the captions of the pawns that tick you off because isn't there an option to remove the pawn captions?

There's a LOT of baddies throughout the world. So yeah, it's battle-heavy. But as you level up that becomes less of a problem. To be honest I quite enjoyed how tricky it was at first. Bear in mind the most satisfying mechanic of the game is the combat.

I've not meddled with the options too much, but the pawns speak and are subtitled just the same as any other character in the game, so I doubt there's a "shut the pawns up" option. If there is and I've just not bothered to find it then I'm a silly, silly man for putting up with it.
07-11-2012 11:00 AM