Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overlapping interests
Beardy
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)
Overlapping interests
This is a difficult one to explain properly. We're all here basically because we like video games. What do you find that you're expected to like because of being a gaming enthusiast? Whether you do or not.

I find that people expect me to be into comics and manga and stuff. I'm not. I'm not saying they're bad, I have no opinion, they're just part of culture that has passed me by.

Has anyone else ever found that, being a gaming enthusiast has led to any assumptions before? Whether they be true or false.
07-03-2012 09:41 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Nuudoru Offline
Neckbearded Admin

Given 230 thank(s) in 176 post(s)
RE: Overlapping interests
Computers, probably.

My whole family thinks I'm some kind of computer wizards who can control all electronics with my mind.

What do you mean you can't tell the internet to work! Just fix it!

Oh, mom. You silly goose.
07-03-2012 09:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Beardy
Unregistered

(07-03-2012 09:48 AM)Nuudoru Wrote:  Computers, probably.

My whole family thinks I'm some kind of computer wizards who can control all electronics with my mind.

I find with my family I'm expected to know about every single element of popular culture ever. I'm 29. My dad is actually more up-to-date with music than me.

My parents both expect me to be able to fix the settings on their phones as soon as they show them to me, and as soon as they tell me their vague troubles with them. "The calender isn't set right and it beeps when I don't want it to"...
07-03-2012 10:03 AM
Chomp Offline
is ready.

Given 8 thank(s) in 8 post(s)
I find people expect gamers to be lazy and that they never see the sun. I'm the exact opposite of that. At work when I'm helping people with games and then somewhere down the road our conversation leads to me telling them I'm joining the Air Force they get suprised, like "wow, I never would have guessed."

And I definitely look like I run everyday, so it's just like I don't know why this is so suprising to you. You can be a gamer and a runner at the same time.
07-03-2012 10:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Beardy
Unregistered

(07-03-2012 10:09 AM)Chomp Wrote:  I find people expect gamers to be lazy and that they never see the sun. I'm the exact opposite of that. At work when I'm helping people with games and then somewhere down the road our conversation leads to me telling them I'm joining the Air Force they get suprised, like "wow, I never would have guessed."

And I definitely look like I run everyday, so it's just like I don't know why this is so suprising to you. You can be a gamer and a runner at the same time.

Haha, I imagine you as a female Ethan Hawke from Gattaca, only your "defect" is being a gamer.
07-03-2012 10:12 AM
Melirune Offline
Necromantic Subjugator

Given 49 thank(s) in 47 post(s)
People always give me a questioning look when I say I love video games, and then proceed to talk about sports and cars and whatnot.

It seems that someone who plays video games is expected to control the internets, quote Star War/Star Trek/Dr. Who/Battlestar Galactica etc at will, read comic books, have acne, cosplay etc.

Silly preconceptions.
07-03-2012 10:24 AM
Beardy
Unregistered

(07-03-2012 10:24 AM)Melirune Wrote:  People always give me a questioning look when I say I love video games, and then proceed to talk about sports and cars and whatnot.

It seems that someone who plays video games is expected to control the internets, quote Star War/Star Trek/Dr. Who/Battlestar Galactica etc at will, read comic books, have acne, cosplay etc.

Silly preconceptions.

It's weird really, cos gaming is PROPER mainstream. I'm the geek in my family just because I'm more into gaming than my brothers.
07-03-2012 10:26 AM
damerdar Offline
Alpha Nerd

Given 18 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

My family assumes I know nothing about computers. But I'm a computer engineering student. It drives me crazy that they don't take my computer-ly opinions and advice seriously.
07-03-2012 10:41 AM
Beardy
Unregistered

(07-03-2012 10:41 AM)damerdar Wrote:  

My family assumes I know nothing about computers. But I'm a computer engineering student. It drives me crazy that they don't take my computer-ly opinions and advice seriously.

So... you two should just swap families, right?
07-03-2012 10:51 AM
damerdar Offline
Alpha Nerd

(07-03-2012 10:51 AM)Beardy Wrote:  So... you two should just swap families, right?

But then I wouldn't be able to be lazy with my lack of responsibility.
07-03-2012 11:21 AM
Beardy
Unregistered

(07-03-2012 11:21 AM)damerdar Wrote:  
(07-03-2012 10:51 AM)Beardy Wrote:  So... you two should just swap families, right?

But then I wouldn't be able to be lazy with my lack of responsibility.

Oh, okay then. Fine. GO LISTEN TO YOUR MANGA AND EAT SOME MEGABYTES THEN.
07-03-2012 11:30 AM
damerdar Offline
Alpha Nerd

(07-03-2012 11:30 AM)Beardy Wrote:  Oh, okay then. Fine. GO LISTEN TO YOUR MANGA AND EAT SOME MEGABYTES THEN.

I want a snack called MEGABYTES now. The fat american version is TERRABYTES Tongue
07-03-2012 11:50 AM
Sirion Offline
irion-irion-irion

Given 29 thank(s) in 26 post(s)
My family sees me like a dizzy, unable to differ reality from fantasy kind of guy, just because I spend most of my time playing games and on the Internet, and never had many friends in school. It's like they expected me to shoot someone in high school or something.

Or at least used to see me like that. Since I'm the first of my family that managed to go to a public college (in Brazil they have a better reputation than private colleges, although they have some serious problems. Most of them, including mine, are in a strike now, for example) they started to see me more like an intelligent, reasonable guy. And lazy. Those are all true. Never worked one day in my life. I should get a job...
07-03-2012 04:58 PM
Nicknclank Offline
The Strategist

Given 28 thank(s) in 21 post(s)
Hmmm... I think some people think that I play a lot of WoW games, because I SURE look like I am.

But, I don't play these kinds of game. I play games that not a lot of people know. It seems that I'm basically a canadian hipster.
07-03-2012 09:34 PM
Nuudoru Offline
Neckbearded Admin

Given 230 thank(s) in 176 post(s)
(07-03-2012 11:50 AM)damerdar Wrote:  
(07-03-2012 11:30 AM)Beardy Wrote:  Oh, okay then. Fine. GO LISTEN TO YOUR MANGA AND EAT SOME MEGABYTES THEN.

I want a snack called MEGABYTES now. The fat american version is TERRABYTES Tongue

I can totally see a bag of "gamerfood" being called Terrabytes. That's a lot better than the current names. I'm pretty sure one of the snacks was called "cashew of chaos" or something like that.
07-03-2012 09:55 PM