Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Gamecube
SpecialUnitt Offline
Ghostbuster

Given 6 thank(s) in 4 post(s)
The Gamecube
So with my Christmas money I went and bought myself a Nintendo Gamecube (random I know) however it was afforable and I thought why not. Never owning one Ive had a play about and I enjoy it, I bought Ty the Tasmanian Tiger and Donkey Konga (the former I already owned for PS2 before) But the point I'm trying to make is I understand that the console didnt do very well with only about 600 games being developed for it unlike the Playstation 2's about 2000 games. So what did you all think of the Gamecube? Why do you think it keeps getting forgotten and is never praised as highly as the PS2 or Original xbox?
12-30-2012 04:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Liamlikesmusic Offline

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)
RE: The Gamecube
I never owned a gamecube back in the day as I could only afford one console per generation and as most people I favored the Ps2 over the rest but I don't really think it's a forgotten console. The only problem is that the Ps2 was too damn good.

Now that I have a Wii, I find myself collecting many Gamecube games that I always wanted to play such as RE 1 and Zero and Metal Gear: The Twin Snakes (all of them ps1 remakes), The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, Rogue Leader, Metroid Prime or F-Zero GX. All of these games and many more, where incredibly good titles but with a Ps2 you were getting a catalog that had something for everyone. It could be Grand Theft Auto, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Shin Megami Tensei, Kingdom Hearts... No matter what kind of gamer you were, you had at least 10 awesome games waiting for you. Meanwhile the Gamecube offered a selection of great must own titles but in much smaller quantities.

It surely didn't help that Mario Sunshine, while being regarded as a great game, wasn't half as popular as Super Mario 64 or Mario Galaxy are and when Wind Waker came out, many fans were alienated by the cartoony look of the game. We're talking two of the main reasons Nintendo consoles get sold, it probably was a pretty big blow.

If I had the money back in the day, I would've got both as I do now, but I can imagine that there were many many gamers such as me that didn't have that kind of money back in that generation.

Yes, it was a bit pushed to the side by the Ps2 but I wouldn't really say it was forgotten. To me, it was the second best console of the generation, even over the Dreamcast, that I dearly love.
12-30-2012 04:45 AM
A Zombie Riot Offline
Teh Zombie Master

Given 229 thank(s) in 189 post(s)
It was honestly my favorite console from that generation. The PS2 was 2nd and the original xbox was last.
12-30-2012 06:50 AM
 Thanks given by: BumblebeeCody
Zaliphone Offline
Supreme Geeknerd

Given 53 thank(s) in 46 post(s)
I love my Gamecube, I never had a lot of games for it, and I most likely spent twice as much time on the PS2, but the GC is my favorite console of that generation. It wasn't as powerful, but it was more fun. I'll never forget playing SSBM, or Luigi's Mansion, or getting my Gameboy Player and being amazed that Pokemon could be on a big screen.
12-30-2012 08:06 AM
Arjahn Offline
Lv. 99 Chicken

Given 206 thank(s) in 165 post(s)
I only got mine near the end of its life cycle right before the Wii came out, I got it from a friend who was picking up a Wii for $40. Turns out that he didn't include a memory card, so I kept starting Mario Sunshine over again for a few weeks.
12-30-2012 09:16 AM
BumblebeeCody Offline
Super Moderator

Given 339 thank(s) in 266 post(s)
Keep getting forgotten? I don't remember that ever being said. I remember I got mine on launch with 3 other my other close friends(Around the age of 12).
The system has some major classics and was my favourite of last generation. To name a few amazing games:

Zelda: Wind Waker
Zelda: Twilight Princess(though I had that on Wii)
Zelda: Collectors Edition
Pikmin 2
Super Mario Sunshine
Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
Donkey Konga: Jungle Beat
Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness
Killer 7
Viewtiful Joe 1
Viewtiful Joe 2
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
Super Smash Bros Melee
Skies of Arcadia
Billy Hatcher
Animal Crossing
Luigis Mansion
Mario Kart: Double Dash
TimeSplitters 2
Eternal Darkness
Resident Evil 0 Remake
Resident Evil 1 Remake
Resident Evil 4 HeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart
Resident Evil: Code Veronica X
Metal Gear Solid 2
Mario Party 4
Mario Party 5
Star Wars: Rogue Leader 2
Ikaruga
Tony Hawks Underground 2
Simpsons Road Rage
Metroid Prime 1
Metroid Prime 2
Chibi-robo
P.N.03
Capcom vs SNK 2
Super Monkey Ball
Gozilla: Destroy All Monsters
Wario Ware
Splinter Cell
Tales of Symphonia
Bomberman Generations

Buying a Gamecube now seems ....outdated since you really had to enjoy playing games like Mario Party 4 and Smash Bros or comparing who far you are in Metroid OR(!) talk about that one funny cutscene in Tony Hawks Underground. Buying it today is really for nostalgia. Man those 11 years went quick *sheds tear*
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2012 11:43 AM by BumblebeeCody.)
12-30-2012 11:41 AM
 Thanks given by: raccoonstarsmember
retrolinkx Offline
The Rookie.

Given 180 thank(s) in 157 post(s)
Hey guys did you know.
Ironically putting them together still doesn't outclass the PS2, but seriously half of those games were just singstar, buzz and other multiplats.

But in all fairness the Gamecube was great, while it did live off first party support and wasn't as popular as the Xbox or PS2 (while being more powerful) it was still a great console, and had amazingly good games, pretty much all the game Bubblebee said.

(12-30-2012 06:50 AM)A Zombie Riot Wrote:  It was honestly my favorite console from that generation. The PS2 was 2nd and the original xbox was last.

And where is the Dreamcast *shakes fist furiously*
12-30-2012 12:08 PM
A Zombie Riot Offline
Teh Zombie Master

Given 229 thank(s) in 189 post(s)
Never played it. Didn't really care for the sega systems anyways. We had a genesis here, but all we had for it were sonic games pretty much.
12-30-2012 12:47 PM
Zaliphone Offline
Supreme Geeknerd

Given 53 thank(s) in 46 post(s)
This thread just reminded me that I need to finish Viewtiful Joe.
12-30-2012 02:47 PM
raccoonstarsmember Offline

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
(12-30-2012 11:41 AM)BumblebeeCody Wrote:  Keep getting forgotten? I don't remember that ever being said. I remember I got mine on launch with 3 other my other close friends(Around the age of 12).
The system has some major classics and was my favourite of last generation. To name a few amazing games:

Zelda: Wind Waker
Zelda: Twilight Princess(though I had that on Wii)
Zelda: Collectors Edition
Pikmin 2

Super Smash Bros Melee
Skies of Arcadia
Billy Hatcher
Animal Crossing
Luigis Mansion
Mario Kart: Double Dash

Eternal Darkness
Resident Evil 0 Remake
Resident Evil 1 Remake
Resident Evil 4 HeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart
Resident Evil: Code Veronica X
Metal Gear Solid 2
Mario Party 4
Mario Party 5
Star Wars: Rogue Leader 2
Ikaruga

Metroid Prime 1
Metroid Prime 2

P.N.03
Capcom vs SNK 2
Super Monkey Ball

Wario Ware

Tales of Symphonia
Bomberman Generations

Really good games, good call.
I personally loved my GC, and still do Smile
12-31-2012 04:18 AM
GOLD89 Offline

The gamecube is my favorite console of all time, i remember loving the system so much i will stick the mini discs up my.... Erm nvm... Lol
12-31-2012 08:04 AM
BumblebeeCody Offline
Super Moderator

Given 339 thank(s) in 266 post(s)
(12-30-2012 12:47 PM)A Zombie Riot Wrote:  Never played it. Didn't really care for the sega systems anyways. We had a genesis here, but all we had for it were sonic games pretty much.

The SEGA Dreamcast had some incredible ideas that actually worked pretty well. The controller on the screen for one. You could take a Chao of SonicA2:B and send it to that small screen and then use it like a tamagotchi. It was also had online functionality and if you connected to online on certain dates you get DLC(back when all DLC for PC/Xbox/DC were free). These included costumes and themes.

Obviously not forgetting the insanely awesome amount of games. One thing I LOVE about SEGA game is their emphasis on fun. If you look at Outrun, Crazy Taxi, Sega Bass Fishing, Space Channel 5, Jet Set Radio, Sonic Adventure/2 battle, After Burner they have that ridiculously fun arcade style to them. Unfortunately these games have now died out and are now occasional like Bayonetta, Vanquish or Sega Racing Transformed....at least they're on XBLA and PSN in HD. So really, even if you didn't have a dreamcast I can't recommend any of the DreamCast games from XBLA enough.
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2013 01:23 AM by BumblebeeCody.)
01-01-2013 01:16 AM
GOLD89 Offline

(01-01-2013 01:16 AM)BumblebeeCody Wrote:  
(12-30-2012 12:47 PM)A Zombie Riot Wrote:  Never played it. Didn't really care for the sega systems anyways. We had a genesis here, but all we had for it were sonic games pretty much.

The SEGA Dreamcast had some incredible ideas that actually worked pretty well. The controller on the screen for one. You could take a Chao of SonicA2:B and send it to that small screen and then use it like a tamagotchi. It was also had online functionality and if you connected to online on certain dates you get DLC(back when all DLC for PC/Xbox/DC were free). These included costumes and themes.

Obviously not forgetting the insanely awesome amount of games. One thing I LOVE about SEGA game is their emphasis on fun. If you look at Outrun, Crazy Taxi, Sega Bass Fishing, Space Channel 5, Jet Set Radio, Sonic Adventure/2 battle, After Burner they have that ridiculously fun arcade style to them. Unfortunately these games have now died out and are now occasional like Bayonetta, Vanquish or Sega Racing Transformed....at least they're on XBLA and PSN in HD. So really, even if you didn't have a dreamcast I can't recommend any of the DreamCast games from XBLA enough.
i just bough JSR on the vita and it so fun on the go looks so sharp, looks as good as a new vita game, those cel-shaded graphics sure are timeless.... Sega games are soo kewl...
Still waiting for shenmue to be rerelease on psn and if possible on vita and wiiu...
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2013 02:20 AM by GOLD89.)
01-01-2013 02:18 AM
SERIOUSLY THOUGH Offline
Solo Diver

Given 689 thank(s) in 484 post(s)
Never had a Gamecube, but I remember it being an awesome system, unfortunately bashed by many.

Ah, the sleepless nights of Super Smash Bros. Melée Sleepy
01-01-2013 03:17 AM
Frazzel Dazzle Offline

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
one of the best things with the game cube is the game boy player, an add on that also plays game boy advanced games (as well as original and colour) its like the super game boy... Cool
01-01-2013 09:35 AM