Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help me decide: PS3 or 3DS?
PikaPikari Offline
Pokemon Master

Given 26 thank(s) in 21 post(s)
Help me decide: PS3 or 3DS?
I hope I posted in the right section for this:

I haven't bought a new console in years...
I think it's finally time to start on something new...

I am trying to decide between a 3DS or a PS3.
I love Nintendo and I really like their franchises..but I haven't had a system non-nintendo since the PS1. There is a lot out there I haven't tried.

So I'm conflicted. Opinions please? Tell me about their games, prices, features, etc.

Thanks! Smile
06-27-2012 09:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Xannidel Offline
Banned

Given 181 thank(s) in 155 post(s)
RE: Help me decide: PS3 or 3DS?
Both have their ups and downs

The 3DS is only a year old and has a few good games (not to mention what games are available via download in the e shop) It also has other amazing perks that I can't remember because I hardly use it that much.

The PS3 has been out for years and has quite the game library and console exclusives. The PS3 can also play Blu Ray/DVD movies.

In my opinion you are better off with the PS3. (I am really trying not to come off as a fanboy but I am sure there are other people who can help you decide better then I can.)
06-27-2012 10:05 AM
Beardy
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)
I don't have a PS3, but I do have a 3DS. Whilst I'm still really glad I got one, there just aren't enough awesome games out for it yet. The PS3 has a massive selection of games, including some great looking PS3 exclusives that I, as an Xbox owner, am jealous of. If you're after big, involving games then get a PS3. If you're after fun on your commute to work or a few multiplayer funtimes then get a 3DS. Neither one is better, but they're markedly different.
06-27-2012 10:06 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Mr.Katana Offline
Two Tickets to Paradise

Given 82 thank(s) in 71 post(s)
I actually want a 3DS even though I have a PS3. XD Well it just depends really.
PS3 has Blu-Ray Player, In-Game exclusives (Like Uncharted and Infamous), free online multiplayer, and PSN Premium apparently is worth it due to the free games you get. PS3 is like $250-300.

3DS is portable, has POKEMON, the 3DS marketplace has some nice old games (and free ones as well), and POKEMON. 3DS is like $170-190. (Btw. If you're leaning more to the 3DS, i'd wait till the 3DS XL comes out. Sounds like it'll be a little nicer, but I don't know when it comes out.)
06-27-2012 10:07 AM
Skallagrim Offline

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
as far as value goes, the ps3 does have tons of selection, and there are some bangin' deals for packages out there. ive seen some ps3 bundles at best buy and places like that that made me furious that i already owned a ps3....
06-27-2012 10:13 AM
Beardy
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)
Another thing to take into account is price. The PS3 has been around for ages, so you could probably get a second-hand one with a few games for a decent price. I haven't looked, but I'd imagine that the second-hand market for the 3DS hasn't quite settled down enough yet to get a normal, across-the-board price. I do remember here in the UK, just after the 3DS launch, seeing second-hand ones on sale for more money than brand new ones.

DISCLAIMER - this opinion is based upon an extensive amount of absolutely no research at all.
06-27-2012 10:16 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Chomp Offline
is ready.

Given 8 thank(s) in 8 post(s)
I think both consoles are great. I used to own a PS3 and I currently own a 3DS.

Like others have said they both have pros and cons. The PS3 has a great selection of games and has BluRay/DVD capability and the online community is fantastic. The 3DS is a bit younger and although it has some great games it needs a bit more. The glasses-less 3d is really cool once you get the hang of it. Also of course the portability of the 3DS is great.

The thing with the PS3 is if later on down the road you decide you want something portable you could get a PS Vita or PSP and the two would be compatible with each other... meaning you could use the PSP or Vita as a controller or use them to unlock features of games on the PS3, there's a lot they can do together. AND the PS3 also has PS Move... I never used that but I've heard it's fun. Then again it's one of those things that is cool at first then you're just like eh after a few weeks.

If you're all about portable games, movies, music etc, Mario, and glasses-less 3d, then I'd say go for the 3DS. If you're wanting BluRay/DVD, a massive online community, great graphics quality, and a great selection of games (and don't mind 3d with glasses if you ever decide to use 3d), then go for the PS3.
06-27-2012 10:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mr.Katana Offline
Two Tickets to Paradise

(06-27-2012 10:16 AM)Beardy Wrote:  Another thing to take into account is price. The PS3 has been around for ages, so you could probably get a second-hand one with a few games for a decent price. I haven't looked, but I'd imagine that the second-hand market for the 3DS hasn't quite settled down enough yet to get a normal, across-the-board price. I do remember here in the UK, just after the 3DS launch, seeing second-hand ones on sale for more money than brand new ones.

DISCLAIMER - this opinion is based upon an extensive amount of absolutely no research at all.

It just depends how much memory she wants on the PS3 and if its a Phat or Slim. I agree entirely though. Second-hand ones are cheaper from what I have seen.
06-27-2012 10:23 AM
Chomp Offline
is ready.

Given 8 thank(s) in 8 post(s)
(06-27-2012 10:23 AM)Mr.Katana Wrote:  
(06-27-2012 10:16 AM)Beardy Wrote:  Another thing to take into account is price. The PS3 has been around for ages, so you could probably get a second-hand one with a few games for a decent price. I haven't looked, but I'd imagine that the second-hand market for the 3DS hasn't quite settled down enough yet to get a normal, across-the-board price. I do remember here in the UK, just after the 3DS launch, seeing second-hand ones on sale for more money than brand new ones.

It just depends how much memory she wants on the PS3 and if its a Phat or Slim. I agree entirely though. Second-hand ones are cheaper from what I have seen.
You could get one that has a low amount of memory and then upgrade it yourself. PS3s use a SATA 2.5" (laptop) hard drive. It's pretty effortless to upgrade one.
06-27-2012 10:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Xannidel Offline
Banned

Given 181 thank(s) in 155 post(s)
(06-27-2012 10:38 AM)Chomp Wrote:  
(06-27-2012 10:23 AM)Mr.Katana Wrote:  

You could get one that has a low amount of memory and then upgrade it yourself. PS3s use a SATA 2.5" (laptop) hard drive. It's pretty effortless to upgrade one.

I recently had to do this and while the hard drive was a little expensive, it was well worth it to put in a 1TB hard drive (I also spent money on a 128-132 GB thumb drive to help with the backup/restore process.
The instruction to getting the hard drive out is on the PS3 instruction manual and all you need is a few tiny screwdrivers.
06-27-2012 10:52 AM
Arjahn Offline
Lv. 99 Chicken

Given 206 thank(s) in 165 post(s)
3DS definitely. And I'm not going to be defending the 3D effect, because at this point it is essentially a gimmick, although not a bad one. The hardware is great for a handheld, the games are fun and cheaper than PS3, plus there are more features and huge titles yet to come. Meanwhile the PS3 is finishing it's last year or so as a major console, and you can find most of the titles on a PC anyways.
At the end of the day, it's fun handheld or occasionally fun home console with more power. Your pick.
06-27-2012 10:55 AM
PikaPikari Offline
Pokemon Master

Hmm, all of these have been rather helpful.
Looking up prices for each on amazon:
A used cosmo black 3DS runs for about $116 and a used ps3 runs for $172. Game prices range for each system, but there is so much more for the PS3...hmmm..

The one thing I may not like about the PS3 is it's not backwards compatible...so I can't buy any PS2 games I've missed out on throughout the years.
06-27-2012 11:03 AM
Mr.Katana Offline
Two Tickets to Paradise

(06-27-2012 11:03 AM)PikaPikari Wrote:  The one thing I may not like about the PS3 is it's not backwards compatible...so I can't buy any PS2 games I've missed out on throughout the years.

Mine has backward compatibility.
06-27-2012 11:11 AM
PikaPikari Offline
Pokemon Master

(06-27-2012 11:11 AM)Mr.Katana Wrote:  
(06-27-2012 11:03 AM)PikaPikari Wrote:  The one thing I may not like about the PS3 is it's not backwards compatible...so I can't buy any PS2 games I've missed out on throughout the years.

It does? I don't know...
The one my friend has doesn't have that feature..are there like...revised versions of the system?
06-27-2012 11:13 AM
Mr.Katana Offline
Two Tickets to Paradise

(06-27-2012 11:13 AM)PikaPikari Wrote:  
(06-27-2012 11:11 AM)Mr.Katana Wrote:  

It does? I don't know...
The one my friend has doesn't have that feature..are there like...revised versions of the system?

Yeah, I think. I still have one of the phat versions of the PS3. I'm not entirely sure on the versions for backward compatibility.
06-27-2012 11:16 AM