Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Online Passes
Mass Distraction Offline

Given 109 thank(s) in 86 post(s)
Online Passes
And your opinions on them.

I just bought the PlayStation Essentials version of Driver San Francisco and I had to go back to the damn "Press Start" screen at least three times to actually get my online pass working. It was such an unnecessary chore.

In case you didn't know, some companies are doing this to cut the used games' sales which is just complete bs because at some point in time, these games won't be available new in store anymore. While you could, of course, download a digital copy some of us do prefer a physical copy.

This is not the only thing they're doing, though, as for example Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D for the 3DS won't allow you to start the game over or delete the saves. No one is going to buy something like that used, right?

Discuss!
12-16-2012 02:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BumblebeeCody Offline
Super Moderator

Given 339 thank(s) in 266 post(s)
RE: Online Passes
Actually having Capcom are dumb about RE:Mercs. Unlocking characters, items, stages and "perks" is good! They thought it would stop people trading in RE: Mercs but for proper Mercs players, that's what we wante. Everything ready from the start so we can play all the characters etc.

Online passes though, it's all bullshit console-drm, scamming crap etc etc. They don't benefit anyone, especially people buying your games (used or not). Look at gaming this gen from 2005 to 2010. No online passes, then during 2010 we see this shi- creep up, along with disc locked content, day 1 DLC and season passes. Yet there are some who think they are getting a deal with seasons passes.

It's pathetic to force this BS on gamers. Gaming was "clean" since the beginning back when those game publishers and developers where kids, then they grow up and eff over this generation. The fact that games have Online Passes is actually what stops me buying games. I didn't buy Uncharted 3, Twisted Metal, Mortal Kombat 9 or Playstation All-stars because this practice is BS(I rented/borrowed). I know David Jaffe said he really didn't want a Seasons Pass for Twisted Metal and was forced to, but I guarantee that hurt sales. Companies who put this seasons/online pass in games consider you a thief/pirate/unloyal before you even buy the game. Guilty until proven innocent(as in, redeem that code). Meanwhile piracy is unaffected....
12-16-2012 06:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mass Distraction Offline

(12-16-2012 06:55 AM)BumblebeeCody Wrote:  Actually having Capcom are dumb about RE:Mercs. Unlocking characters, items, stages and "perks" is good! They thought it would stop people trading in RE: Mercs but for proper Mercs players, that's what we wante. Everything ready from the start so we can play all the characters etc.

But for a normal gamer that's a total bummer. I for one want to work my way up and unlock everything there is on my own. It feels cheating to have everything unlocked for you.
12-16-2012 12:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: BumblebeeCody
BumblebeeCody Offline
Super Moderator

(12-16-2012 12:00 PM)Mass Distraction Wrote:  
(12-16-2012 06:55 AM)BumblebeeCody Wrote:  Actually having Capcom are dumb about RE:Mercs. Unlocking characters, items, stages and "perks" is good! They thought it would stop people trading in RE: Mercs but for proper Mercs players, that's what we wante. Everything ready from the start so we can play all the characters etc.

But for a normal gamer that's a total bummer. I for one want to work my way up and unlock everything there is on my own. It feels cheating to have everything unlocked for you.

But since the DS launch 2004 whenever you sold your DS games, that data would still be on there? Like, did everybody just fall asleep when they traded in their original DS games with their save data still on there? Dafuq, so you can't delete it(well there's actually a work around it), it doesn't mean anything. I don't see the point in complaining about wanting to unlock everything yourself in a score based game. I'd understand if it had a story but a score based game it's only a positive.

What's worse anyway? Buying a second hand game with someones old save data or it (as we have been since the NES days) or buying a pre-owned game finding out you don't have access to half the content since you don't have an online pass?
[Image: Tiger-Woods.jpg]
I don't have an online pass for Sony all-stars so I get half of my game cut.

Don't take it the wrong way, I'm not watering down your argument and I do see your point. However I don't find it to be bad on a score based game and that all of your game content is intact and not locked away since you bought it pre-owned. Having that "feeling of cheating" doesn't actually mean you cheated. RE: Mercs is the same as you handing your game to a friend and him/her unlocking Claire Redfield for you. It's not cheating...
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2012 12:17 PM by BumblebeeCody.)
12-16-2012 12:11 PM
Mass Distraction Offline

To me it is. I play games to have the feeling of accomplishment from my own actions. I don't really care about beating other people's highscores, I get nothing from that. I wouldn't have liked it if everything in a game I just bought was alreade SS ranked with everything unlocked. That game would be utterly useless to me.

I would take it over online passes though.
12-16-2012 11:09 PM
GOLD89 Offline

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)
Online passes is the reason i dont play modern games anymore.
12-17-2012 07:20 AM
Lightmatt Offline
Undercover Quaggan

Given 39 thank(s) in 32 post(s)
I think the problem with online passes is that you usually have to have one for a game that isn't going to have a very long lifespan (By which I mean there will not be alot of new content being produced that's worth owning). (Not to mention whatever else you have to pay just to play online)
12-17-2012 08:32 AM
A Zombie Riot Offline
Teh Zombie Master

Given 229 thank(s) in 189 post(s)
Online passes are terrible and I hate them so much. It's part of the reason why I hate EA so much too. Because almost every single one of their games HAS to have an online pass for it.
12-17-2012 12:46 PM
Mass Distraction Offline

Well... crud. It seems Sony is going to go for a piece of technology that blocks games from being played on any other console than yours in order to stop used games sales. Looks like I'm opting out from buying a PS4.

[source]

Honestly, at what point did used games become the Devil?
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2013 06:35 AM by Mass Distraction.)
01-05-2013 06:35 AM
SERIOUSLY THOUGH Offline
Solo Diver

Given 689 thank(s) in 484 post(s)
(01-05-2013 06:35 AM)Mass Distraction Wrote:  Honestly, at what point did used games become the Devil?

I dunno, now we'll have an excuse when a greasy-fingered disk-scratching friend asks to borrow our game.
01-05-2013 06:45 AM
Xannidel Offline
Banned

Given 181 thank(s) in 155 post(s)
This is just a patent and is in no way a sure thing that they will do. In my opinion this is just a test, they announce this and see how everyone reacts and then I am sure they will adjust it themselves. They would not want a good 75%+ of their fanbase to go up in arms against them over this.
01-05-2013 07:11 AM
Berry Offline
The Senior Starman

Given 94 thank(s) in 74 post(s)
(01-05-2013 06:35 AM)Mass Distraction Wrote:  Well... crud. It seems Sony is going to go for a piece of technology that blocks games from being played on any other console than yours in order to stop used games sales. Looks like I'm opting out from buying a PS4.

[source]

I see a whole Sega Scenario waiting to happen if ever Sony decides to do this ridiculous idea.
01-05-2013 08:03 AM
BumblebeeCody Offline
Super Moderator

(01-05-2013 07:11 AM)Xannidel Wrote:  This is just a patent and is in no way a sure thing that they will do. In my opinion this is just a test, they announce this and see how everyone reacts and then I am sure they will adjust it themselves. They would not want a good 75%+ of their fanbase to go up in arms against them over this.

Especially since we never found out who hacked Sony during 2011. I'm sure they're fanbase(and rightly so) are aiming their flame arrows right now. We'll see but I won't be buying Sonys next console if that's true. Eventhubs also ran an article on this. One of the big problems with this is that Fighting Games use consoles, so they won't be able to run tournaments as smoothly as before due to locking games to a console. This goes for any games that have tournaments held on a console. Street Fighter, Halo, Gears of War etc.
01-06-2013 02:24 AM
retrolinkx Offline
The Rookie.

Given 180 thank(s) in 157 post(s)
(01-05-2013 06:35 AM)Mass Distraction Wrote:  Well... crud. It seems Sony is going to go for a piece of technology that blocks games from being played on any other console than yours in order to stop used games sales. Looks like I'm opting out from buying a PS4.

[source]

Don't worry, by the looks of it, Sony can't afford to make the PS4.

On topic. I hate online passes, ever since Video Games became a business it seems that they want to take everything away, I imagine that in the future buying the game pre owned is going to be a thing of the past, and digital downloads are going to be the only way to play.

I swear it'll be awful.
01-06-2013 10:22 PM
Mass Distraction Offline

(01-06-2013 10:22 PM)retrolinkx Wrote:  

[source]

Don't worry, by the looks of it, Sony can't afford to make the PS4.

On topic. I hate online passes, ever since Video Games became a business it seems that they want to take everything away, I imagine that in the future buying the game pre owned is going to be a thing of the past, and digital downloads are going to be the only way to play.

I swear it'll be awful.

What? How come?

That certainly seems to be the case... Only being unable to buy games used in the future, I mean. Good bye gaming collections and getting those lesser known games that certainly won't be available for download...
01-07-2013 02:22 AM