Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Donkey Kong - What? Diddy Kong is Evolving!
Antwan Offline

Given 4 thank(s) in 2 post(s)
Donkey Kong - What? Diddy Kong is Evolving!
Around the time Mario Kart: Double Dash and Mario Golf: Toadstool Tours were released, Diddy Kong grew an extra finger for his hands.

From Donkey Kong Country 2; note Diddy's right hand:
[Image: DKC_Cartwheel.jpg]

From Mario Kart: Double Dash; check out his thumbs up:
[Image: 433px-DKDD.JPG]
11-16-2012 03:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DidYouKnowGaming Offline
Administrator

Given 156 thank(s) in 100 post(s)
RE: Donkey Kong - What? Diddy Kong is Evolving!
I think this could have something to do with Japan. I'll look into it.
11-17-2012 03:55 AM
Ginkaze Offline

Given 12 thank(s) in 9 post(s)
RE: Donkey Kong - What? Diddy Kong is Evolving!
I think it has to do with the Yakuza: when a member of this organisation will leave it, they have to chop of one of their fingers. Everyone in Japan will discriminated who hasn't 10 fingers - they fear to be associated with the Yakuza. So many people, who have lost a finger in an accident or thanks to the japanese Mafia, wear protheses. Same discrimination-problems do you have, if you're tattooed. It also shows your membership.

[Image: 600full-yakuza-cover.jpg]

Some tourists got problems about that, when they went to public baths, ect. But back to the fingers.

It's a problem, that affected also other characters from other parts of the world. Mickey Mouse for example has 5 fingers in Japan. Diddy Kong was created by Rare in Great Britan and I guess they don't know about this problem first, but after learning about it, they may have corrected their mistake.

€dit: it also came to my mind, that 4 is called "shi" in japanese, what could also mean "death". So the japanese try to avoid the 4 like the most americans and europeans do it with the 13:
There is no 4th row in planes, no room with the number 4 in hotels, eventually a building misses the 4th floor, ect. Also, if there is a fictional character, who should be drawn simpler, japanese will tend to took two toes instead of one. Chip from Sonic Unleashed is a example for this:
[Image: 0146_sonic_unleashed.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2012 08:25 AM by Ginkaze.)
11-17-2012 06:51 AM
 Thanks given by: DidYouKnowGaming