Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How excited are you for the Wii U?
CFMM
Unregistered

Given thank(s) in post(s)
RE: How excited are you for the Wii U?
(07-03-2012 10:56 AM)Skarro Wrote:  
(07-03-2012 10:10 AM)CFMM Wrote:  Before I'm accused of fanboyism, I also think the PS Vita is a load of crap, Kinect is crap, and the rumors that Microsoft's new console won't play used games just seals the deal for me. I've become very jaded and dissatisfied with mainstream gaming these days and I recently found myself enjoying independent productions on Steam and other avenues much more. 2004-2005 is about when I stopped fully participating in mainstream/current gaming culture. This generation will likely be the last one I give a remote damn about.

Strange, I feel the vast majority of indie games are gimmicky, Pushing into a "this is an artform and a game" direction. Especially the ones I get in the steam indie/humble bundles. Majority of them sacrifice game-play for 1 gimmicky feature or idea and the rest as i said, try to seem artsy. Lame stuff ive experianced so far.

Only great indie game i can think of is Minecraft....which is epic.

Minecraft is a great game but it's kinda funny you knock on indie games when the only one you can offer as the exception to the rule is Minecraft.

Video games, to me, are about the experience. They are about having fun and being involved with a good story or experience. They are an escape. There are liberties that can be taken with the medium, there is no definition of "video game". It is something that is defined and refined constantly. Call of Duty, SimCity, and Limbo are all video games and across all 3 of them they have absolutely nothing in common yet belong to the same category.

I feel that in the mainstream gaming market there is too much emphasis on flashiness and gimmicks. With Kinect YOU ARE THE CONTROLLER. What if you are disabled? What happens then? I guess you're not the controller. With the PS Vita you have to hold the thing a certain way or else you constantly touch the back panel and the game reads that. What if your "comfortable" way of holding a handheld involves putting your fingers on the back? The entire purpose of the 3DS is "OMG 3D". 1 in 5 people cannot see 3D, including me. So what's the point of the 3DS other than pointless flashiness? Nothing. This thing with the Wii U and the double screens and the forced touchscreen usage and all of that, it's pointless. It's so much distraction and cessation of flow that it just sounds miserable to me. True, I haven't played a Wii U, I have no intentions of playing one. Maybe it's going to be the best thing since sliced bread, but I would not count on that.

Not to mention I have SERIOUS issues with the way companies like EA, Activision, and Blizzard "do business".

All of these things with the crap peripherals and controls, these should all be niche markets. I personally do not want a 3DS, I feel alienated. Why would Nintendo make something that people cannot use? Children 6 and under can't use it and 20% of the population cannot see the effect. WHY would you do that? 3D is fine. There is a market for that, but guess what, a very large portion of the market is not interested in that. 3D shouldn't be the industry standard. The "industry standard" should be an experience that any and everyone can reasonably enjoy; that should be paramount. If the first thing your product does is disenfranchise an entire chunk of your audience that is a bad thing.

The biggest gripe I get from people about Minecraft? The graphics are "ugly".

Those are the people who don't understand video games.
07-03-2012 11:09 AM
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: How excited are you for the Wii U? - Beardy - 07-03-2012, 07:49 AM
RE: How excited are you for the Wii U? - CFMM - 07-03-2012, 10:10 AM
RE: How excited are you for the Wii U? - CFMM - 07-03-2012 11:09 AM
RE: How excited are you for the Wii U? - CFMM - 07-03-2012, 11:50 AM
RE: How excited are you for the Wii U? - CFMM - 07-06-2012, 03:24 PM
RE: How excited are you for the Wii U? - Beardy - 07-03-2012, 11:27 AM
RE: How excited are you for the Wii U? - CFMM - 07-04-2012, 07:19 PM