Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Asia's (lack of) originality amuses me.
Sirion Offline
irion-irion-irion

Given 29 thank(s) in 26 post(s)
RE: Asia's (lack of) originality amuses me.
Thing is, in the Arctic Combat gameplay, the map is almost an exact copy from de_dust 2 from Counter-Strike. The dimensions of some corridors and some box placements are different, but aside from that, all is the same, including choke points. I think it'd be enough for Valve to sue Webzen for copyrights infringement, although I don't think they'd really do it.

As for Final Combat, someone asked in the official game forums why they made it such an obvious TF2 rip-off. The guy not only didn't get a proper answer but was banned from the forums. The team working on the game said something like "how can you say that if you didn't even play it? Go play it and stop making accusations".

Also, I don't think China censors Steam or Steam games. I'm certain they can play Team Fortress 2, just like any other. If much, TF2 there is censored to the point of having robot parts replacing blood and gibs, like the german version of the game. I think they can't buy in-game items or things like that, though. Or, at least, I heard about a chinese guy who sold dota 2 keys for in-game Dota 2 items.

Final Combat isn't shy about ripping off every inch of Team Fortress 2, including the "meet the team" videos. There's a line between "inspiration" and "copy". The industry benefits from good ideas in a successful game that other developers may use to improve their games. By instance, all shooters benefited from the "headshot" feature when the original Counter-Strike launched. But Final Combat developers just "ctrl + V, ctrl + C" TF2 and Battlefield Heroes almost without worrying about giving it any real inspiration of any sort. And couldn't even keep loyal to its cartoon design, since it has realistical weapons and classes. From what I've read, Chinese games market is filled with games like that. Uninspired more-of-the-same games. If it works, good for them. But, really, I feel sorry for them.
08-28-2012 04:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Asia's (lack of) originality amuses me. - Sirion - 08-28-2012 04:28 PM