Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Poll: Graphics VS Gameplay VS Story
Graphics
Story
Gameplay
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Graphics vs Gameplay vs Story
Hexadecimal Offline
Reboot!

Given 79 thank(s) in 59 post(s)
RE: Graphics vs Gameplay vs Story
While I certainly appreciate good graphics, it's not something I'll fault a game for unless they're so bad it's hard to see what I'm doing or tell what the heck an object is supposed to be (not really an issue nowadays). I will admit the graphics are what got me interested in Okami, but that's because it was mentioned when I was watching someone at the Tokyo Game Show and so I had no idea what the game play and story were like. Yes, I am a bit shallow and want to play a game if a developer does something really outstanding and different with graphics.

Game play and story are kind of on the same level with me. As Cody mentioned there are certain genres where story isn't really needed and it's still fun. I picked up Madworld since I really liked the idea of commentators throwing in their opinions on the action and (please don't think I'm a psycho for saying this) the game play made killing your foes super fun. Even though I hate the Wiimote it worked super well for this game and I never had an issue with it not registering properly what I wanted to do.

Catherine is another game I have to bring up because it not only had a story that made me want to skip sleeping to see what would happen, but the game play was so addicting. Normal difficulty was just perfect in terms of how much gradually harder the puzzles would get and it was never frustrating. Sometimes I did get stuck, but through trial and error I soon made my way up the blocks.

Sometimes the story alone can save a game for me. Rule of Rose was a beautifully disturbing tale that didn't have overly fantastic game play, plus the hit detection is some of the worst I have EVER seen. If the story hadn't been so compelling I would've dropped it immediately.

The only game that comes to mind that I stopped due to game play, which even an interesting story couldn't save, was Magna Carta: Tears of Blood. Not only did the loading times piss me off but combat was wonky with how you had to switch characters and they would actually get mad if you didn't use them in a fights, despite the fact with some battles it was quicker just to mow down the opponent than to switch. You could also talk with you part members and that could affect certain levels depending on how you answered. Feh.
11-04-2012 06:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: BumblebeeCody

Messages In This Thread
Graphics vs Gameplay vs Story - Artwark - 11-02-2012, 09:28 PM
RE: Graphics vs Gameplay vs Story - Hexadecimal - 11-04-2012 06:48 AM
RE: Graphics vs Gameplay vs Story - Berry - 11-07-2012, 06:15 AM
RE: Graphics vs Gameplay vs Story - Skarro - 11-10-2012, 01:34 PM