Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Gaming Industry, I wish to enter it.
Psychospacecow Offline
Ruler of the Roma Tomato

Given 86 thank(s) in 65 post(s)
The Gaming Industry, I wish to enter it.
I've wanted to get into it since before I knew what Dragonball GT was. Its been my ambition all my life to create, or at least help in that creation. I've just had a tough time getting into it. I've got Unreal engine and GameMaker Studio, but Game Maker's tutorial files do not exist for some reason, and Unreal is all kinds of complex. Can anyone help me out here? (I've been watching Extra Creditz again. Stopped when I left Escapist)

Edit: Also, at my computer class at my school, we've learned Photoshop, Flash, Illustrator and recently started on LightWave.

Edit 2: I'm sorry, is there a way to move this to Help Me!? I've been making stupid mistakes all break long.
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2013 12:14 PM by Psychospacecow.)
03-15-2013 09:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BumblebeeCody Offline
Super Moderator

Given 339 thank(s) in 266 post(s)
RE: The Gaming Industry, I wish to enter it.
This will take me time to type *puts tea on*.
(Also note I don't actually work in the gaming industry but I can help get you started)
Firstly, knowing how to code, program (some maths) and motivation is key (motivation especially).

I'm not saying Game maker studio is bad, but it's basic as best and limits you to what you could be achieving, not bad (I'd also recommend Scratch as it's also very nice to work with and a bit more flexible (as in, giving you more to work with and create a bit more)) than you usually would. I also wouldn't recommend using the Unreal Engine(I assume you're using UDK) as that's for those who reeaaaaaally know what they're doing and have a goal set.

A program I would recommend to begin with are modding programs or XNL. XNL (I find) is fantastic to use since it lets you create basic games and learn (basic) coding via creating your own game. Not only that but you can subscribe to the software for £40 a year(don't know if it's changed recently) AND can let you publish them on XBLA Indie Downloads for everyone to download and earn you a bit of money. That's just for the small time but you might end up making it big with games like Fortress Craft(how original). Indie (just like the Apple App store is full of crap) but there are some great idea so if you game turns out to be shite then don't worry because most of them are, but there are those gems showing that XNL is a tool worthy of using if you try.

I started out at the age of around 15/16 with game modding programs. I don't condone piracy or any of that BS but I would also recommend downloading software like Advance Map(if XNL isn't for you...but it should be). Advance Map is a Pokemon game editor. You can download the (LEGAL) ROMS of games like Pokemon Emerald, open them in Advance Map, edit them, save the ROM and then play them in Visual Boy Advance. I found using Advance Map a GREAT way of learning how one of my favourite series works.

For example, whenever you step into a house on Pokemon, the game has an assign code that actually teleports you to a map. Basically meaning you don't actually go into a house but when the screen turns black, you're being teleported to a new location stored within the games memory address (Once player steps into the door, teleport them to Map Pokecenter #2 etc) as well as much more such as: different tile properties(what allows you to surf, cut a tree) so on and so on. There is also the MUCH more technical part of actually looking at the games code. At first you don't know what an array is but once you learn C++/Java(See below) you'll know exactly(ish) they're talking about in that thread.

Basically after reading through the games code on that thread, a few members found that Game Freak made an error within Black/White 2 in which Pokemon IVs will always been the same. Game Freak effed up <- getting involved with projects like that.

I haven't used Garys mod of the source code for Half-life but it really doesn't seem so hard to use. I'm not to knowledge-able on that source code so I wouldn't say much but it seems pretty user friendly.

Getting yourself involved in forums that create mods(PC mods are a great way of learning how to create stages, maps, edit AI etc) translations (that thread has been going for over 10 years and I've seen it develop over time).

I think you'd be surprised by how friendly and welcoming game developers are, simply ringing their support lines or e-mailing to ask for a visit would be helpful in where to get started from those within the industry, hearing their stories, what they started out on, what they're looking from-from future employees(you) and what makes success. PC gamers actually get pissy(in a good way) when developers don't give them developer tools for their games(like CoD) but for Valve games they'll give you the code to create mods and trade them for money (if they're good). One of the nicest surprises I found in Darksiders 2 on the Xbox is that it has a small note in which you can ask them for the code and they'll send you a CD with Darksiders program stuff on it(I haven't done this yet).

For outside of that modding stuff, it comes down to education. I would say get yourself into a Computer Science degree but even now with the way Indie games are, it's useless. Not to get into politics too much but if you're in the U.K, I wouldn't recommend University in anyway with the insane BS that the fees were raised to. However, the huge success of Indie games proves you don't need a degree but need to create content that gamers want. Believe it or not, but Notchs coding in Minecraft is CRAP. He stated himself it's lazy coding that's got gaps(mostly solid) but lazy design and questionable coding....and look at the success of Minecraft(plus all the updates obviously).
So to go back to my initial point, you could join Uni but with the fees at the moment I wouldn't recommend it(no idea what Canadian/US/other Europe/Oceana/Asia prices are)....

....instead, get yourself a C++ book(3 or so and preferably after 2010) Visual Basic and start your program creating there. I say choose books after 2010 since the early you go into the coding the less you learn and code will be outdated. Even though machine code is the longest, tedious(and most respected) code you can create, it's outdated/been replace by newer code. The books feature great informative exercises that don't make you feel stupid and have you creating smaller programs which lead you into more complicated programs and thus gaming.

And all this is if you're a peasant like me with zero connections to people.

If I can think of anything more to add I'll edit this post but you have plenty of tools, advice, education to get what you want.
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2013 10:51 AM by BumblebeeCody.)
03-15-2013 10:42 AM
 Thanks given by: Psychospacecow
Psychospacecow Offline
Ruler of the Roma Tomato

Thanks a lot Cody. I'll will definitely try to use this. Also, I'm from Texas, and got an eye on a place called Full Sail University in Florida, though online courses are available as well.
03-15-2013 11:25 AM
Lightmatt Offline
Undercover Quaggan

Given 39 thank(s) in 32 post(s)
(03-15-2013 11:25 AM)Psychospacecow Wrote:  Thanks a lot Cody. I'll will definitely try to use this. Also, I'm from Texas, and got an eye on a place called Full Sail University in Florida, though online courses are available as well.

I can't remember if Full Sail is a good school or not, but I'd say just go to a regular University and sign up for Computer Science for programming (Not to mention it'll a hell of alot cheaper.) or better yet check this free class from MIT to get some programming experience under your belt.
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2013 11:36 AM by Lightmatt.)
03-15-2013 11:35 AM
 Thanks given by: Psychospacecow
Psychospacecow Offline
Ruler of the Roma Tomato

Could you provide some links for the recommended programs? I looked up Xnl and that is apparently a common acronym.

(03-15-2013 11:35 AM)Lightmatt Wrote:  
(03-15-2013 11:25 AM)Psychospacecow Wrote:  Thanks a lot Cody. I'll will definitely try to use this. Also, I'm from Texas, and got an eye on a place called Full Sail University in Florida, though online courses are available as well.

I can't remember if Full Sail is a good school or not, but I'd say just go to a regular University and sign up for Computer Science for programming (Not to mention it'll a hell of alot cheaper.) or better yet check this free class from MIT to get some programming experience under your belt.

noted
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2013 11:40 AM by Psychospacecow.)
03-15-2013 11:36 AM