Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fighting Games
Mass Distraction Offline

Given 109 thank(s) in 86 post(s)
Fighting Games
So, who here plays fighters? I totally love all kinds of fighting games. as proven but the picture I posted in the Collections thread, although I seriously suck at them. The only reason I never bought Skullgirls was because it was TOO hard, I couldn't even win the first battle in the demo...

Aaaanyway, what are your favorites and why? Mine is definitely the Street Fighter series, which is why I bought the 25th Anniversary Collection from US. Close second would be Mortal Kombat, followed by Marvel vs. Capcom.

Still, the best fighting game ever created is Digimon Rumble Arena. That game is just pure awesome in disc form.
11-27-2012 04:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Xannidel Offline
Banned

Given 181 thank(s) in 155 post(s)
RE: Fighting Games
Not a huge fighting fan. I tried the first Soul Calibur game on the Dreamcast and thought it was semi fun. I was a huge fan of the SUper Smash Brothers series and also wanting the Playstation All Stars as well. I really do not play them because I find it so easy to corner people and just own them but that is just my intake on the genre as a whole.
11-27-2012 04:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BumblebeeCody Offline
Super Moderator

Given 339 thank(s) in 266 post(s)
Ah my. What don't I play? Oh yeah, SFxT because that game is SHIT!(and Arcana Hearts though I don't think that game is bad....a bit weird though).

I really only bought Skullgirls to support MikeZ but I did a few combo videos and played with a few friends but meh. When the new update comes out I'll probably go back to it. Peacock is easily one of the best characters of 2012 (with Handsome Jack from Borderlands 2) but she's underlooked because fighting games NEVER get the attention they deserve.

I've played pretty much every fighting game that's "big" right now. I bought SFxT earlier this year and easily the biggest disappointment of 2012 for games. Since that flopped I spent my time at a local gaming house playing KoFXIII and stopped once Tekken Tag 2 came out because I was waiting for that (as Tekken is my main series) though I was played SF4 for the last 3 years (and still do).

Also I have 6 fightsticks:
2 MadCatz custom CE sticks (xbox 360)
1 SF TE 2(Xbox 360)
1 SFxT TE (Xbox 360)
1 custome TvC(Wii)
1 SF TE 1 (PS3)

Fighting games I currently play/have access too:
SF4
SSF4AE2012 (Xbox and PS3)
SSF4 3D(3DS)
KoF XIII
TTT2
Third Strike <3
KoFXII
MK9
MKvDC
MvC3
UMvC3
BlazBlue: CT
BlazBlue: CS
SFxT (SHIT)
Tekken 6
Arcana Hearts (meh)
SF2 HDRemix
SF2: HF
TvC
Skullgirls
Smash Bros (If you want to really go that far)
I haven't picked up PS-allstars yet but plan on doing so.

At the moment I'm only playing Tekken Tag 2 (for an upcoming tournament)
You're also the only person here to make a fighting game thread as well as the only person to talk about it on here (aside from Nuudoru when we were watching EVO 2012 and he's been busy Sad ). So it's safe to say this is OUR thread, ha.

Always up for some games.
11-27-2012 05:17 AM
SERIOUSLY THOUGH Offline
Solo Diver

Given 689 thank(s) in 484 post(s)
The only fighting games I really like are the Soul Calibur series - their soundtracks are also amazing.

Unfortunately the fourth Soul Calibur was a bit of a letdown, not much 1-player fun to be had. Soul Calibur 3 is the best in my opinion due to it's storylines and alternative RTS-ish gamemode Smile
11-27-2012 05:18 AM
BumblebeeCody Offline
Super Moderator

(11-27-2012 05:18 AM)SERIOUSLY THOUGH Wrote:  The only fighting games I really like are the Soul Calibur series - their soundtracks are also amazing.

Unfortunately the fourth Soul Calibur was a bit of a letdown, not much 1-player fun to be had. Soul Calibur 3 is the best in my opinion due to it's storylines and alternative RTS-ish gamemode Smile

Yeah Soul Calibur has had great orchestral music. I never really learned how to play Soul Calibur on the level of Tekken or SF but SCV has me interested to learn.

I liked SC 2 because it had Link.....Link. A great addition who suited the game well!
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2012 05:26 AM by BumblebeeCody.)
11-27-2012 05:25 AM
Mass Distraction Offline

Oh yeah, I searched the site and was actually surprised this thread had not been created before. Oh well, now it's here to STAY. I wish I could play against people online but I'm just plain horrible at these. I can beat the arcade modes and my friends most of the time but playing online is a whole other thing... I usually end up losing in a few seconds, unless I happen to have a fluke which doesn't really happen often. They still appeal to me in such a weird way, can't get enough of 'em.

I actually loved SFxT. The gem system is confusing as hell which is a turnoff but I found the tag teaming and the characters to be fun. We played it with a friend for hours. I don't really play any Tekken games so this is pretty much the only "Tekken" game I have. I also love crossover games for some reason. Might make a thread for that later on.

Pretty much the only letdown I've had with these games has been KoFXII. While the game is overall fantastic the online is almost unplayable and there is no story in the Arcade. Beating my own scores gets boring pretty quick.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2012 05:28 AM by Mass Distraction.)
11-27-2012 05:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SERIOUSLY THOUGH Offline
Solo Diver

Given 689 thank(s) in 484 post(s)
(11-27-2012 05:25 AM)BumblebeeCody Wrote:  
(11-27-2012 05:18 AM)SERIOUSLY THOUGH Wrote:  The only fighting games I really like are the Soul Calibur series - their soundtracks are also amazing.

Yeah Soul Calibur has had great orchestral music. I never really learned how to play Soul Calibur on the level of Tekken or SF but SCV has me interested to learn.

I liked SC 2 because it had Link.....Link. A great addition who suited the game well!

Trudat - It's always nice to play an extra-world character Big Grin

One day, there will be a game with all major characters from all major game companies. Just gotta get around the niggle that is licensing
11-27-2012 05:32 AM
BumblebeeCody Offline
Super Moderator

(11-27-2012 05:27 AM)Mass Distraction Wrote:  Oh yeah, I searched the site and was actually surprised this thread had not been created before. Oh well, now it's here to STAY. I wish I could play against people online but I'm just plain horrible at these. I can beat the arcade modes and my friends most of the time but playing online is a whole other thing... I usually end up losing in a few seconds, unless I happen to have a fluke which doesn't really happen often. They still appeal to me in such a weird way, can't get enough of 'em.

I actually loved SFxT. The gem system is confusing as hell which is a turnoff but I found the tag teaming and the characters to be fun. We played it with a friend for hours. I don't really play any Tekken games so this is pretty much the only "Tekken" game I have. I also love crossover games for some reason. Might make a thread for that later on.

Pretty much the only letdown I've had with these games has been KoFXII. While the game is overall fantastic the online is almost unplayable and there is no story in the Arcade. Beating my own scores gets boring pretty quick.
Ah, I was thinking you knew how to play fighting games...Sad

Dude, no respectable fighting game player takes online seriously anyway. Tournaments and Arcades is where the "respect" comes from.

Everyone who doesn't know how to play fighting games gave it a good review and everyone else on Eventhubs, SRK etc gave it shite reviews. It's a crap game with broken mechanics. It's THAT bad the community didn't want to see it at EVO 2012 and WON'T be appearing at EVO 2013. It's a terrible game and easily the biggest flop of this year and one of this generations.

Wait what? KoFXII sucked dude. It was a well known bad game, but KoFXIII is a frikkin' incredible and fixed everything wrong with KoFXII. EVO was HYPE when that showed. I quit KoF now though because it was just filler for TTT2
(11-27-2012 05:32 AM)SERIOUSLY THOUGH Wrote:  
(11-27-2012 05:25 AM)BumblebeeCody Wrote:  

Trudat - It's always nice to play an extra-world character Big Grin

One day, there will be a game with all major characters from all major game companies. Just gotta get around the niggle that is licensing

But we still get those.

Spawn and Heihachi in the Xbox/PS2 version respectively. We got Kratos in Mortal Kombat. Toro, Pacman, Kuro, Megaman and Cole from InFamous in SFxT.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2012 06:01 AM by BumblebeeCody.)
11-27-2012 05:55 AM
Ouberry_13 Offline
The Mad Mage

Given 110 thank(s) in 86 post(s)
I used to be huge on fighting games. They used to be higher up on my list than any RPG or Action/Adventure. I'm not sure what happened. I still love fighting games, but I don't play them as much. One of the series I've played since I was about three years old was the Tekken series. I don't know why, but even to this day, I love the series.

I thought MvC3 was ok, but that's really it from me. It wasn't that much fun, even when I played with my friends. Same with SF4. I don't know if it's me or not, but they seemed less fun than their previous games. I never got into Mortal Kombat, it never really interested me that much.

As I've mentioned somewhere on the forums before, I do like Blazblue. And I would count the series somewhere in my Top 20 Series. Probably low on the list, but on the list nonetheless.

I do have the old Capcom JJBA fighting game, and I love it, mainly because I love JJBA. Speaking of which, I can't wait for that new fighting game coming out next year. From the trailers and demo vids I've seen, it looks like a 3D version of the Capcom one, just with a few tweaks. If it plays like I'm thinking it will, I can see many more people getting introduced into the JJBA series.
11-27-2012 11:21 AM
Zaliphone Offline
Supreme Geeknerd

Given 53 thank(s) in 46 post(s)
I've never been good at them. I liked Soul Caliber 2, and I sometimes screw around with Mortal Kombat 2 for SNES when a friend comes over.
11-27-2012 11:30 AM
Mass Distraction Offline

(11-27-2012 05:55 AM)BumblebeeCody Wrote:  
(11-27-2012 05:27 AM)Mass Distraction Wrote:  Oh yeah, I searched the site and was actually surprised this thread had not been created before. Oh well, now it's here to STAY. I wish I could play against people online but I'm just plain horrible at these. I can beat the arcade modes and my friends most of the time but playing online is a whole other thing... I usually end up losing in a few seconds, unless I happen to have a fluke which doesn't really happen often. They still appeal to me in such a weird way, can't get enough of 'em.

Ah, I was thinking you knew how to play fighting games...Sad

Dude, no respectable fighting game player takes online seriously anyway. Tournaments and Arcades is where the "respect" comes from.

Everyone who doesn't know how to play fighting games gave it a good review and everyone else on Eventhubs, SRK etc gave it shite reviews. It's a crap game with broken mechanics. It's THAT bad the community didn't want to see it at EVO 2012 and WON'T be appearing at EVO 2013. It's a terrible game and easily the biggest flop of this year and one of this generations.

Wait what? KoFXII sucked dude. It was a well known bad game, but KoFXIII is a frikkin' incredible and fixed everything wrong with KoFXII. EVO was HYPE when that showed. I quit KoF now though because it was just filler for TTT2

I wasn't saying that I didn't know how to, I just suck at them Big Grin Can't keep my combos up and don't really care for stuff like tiers etc. I just play them because I enjoy the characters, the visuals and the opportunity to beat the crap out of an opponent in a straight up match.

I really should get KoFXIII, it looks awesome. Anything would be better after the letdown I had with KoFXII. Nobody is even willing to buy the damn game from me so I wouldn't have to keep it around.
11-27-2012 09:36 PM
BumblebeeCody Offline
Super Moderator

Meh. Skip KoFXII. It's bad but KoFXIII is amazing. Can't praise that game enough. No gimmicky gem, x-factor or easy combo bullshit that comes with Capcom fighters. Those games cater to crap players it's not even funny. KoFXIII was a breath of fresh air after the massive crapfest that SFxT is and kept me going for a few months (was really waiting for TTT2).

I play the characters I like regardless of tiers, though I do take tiers into consideration. That's where my name comes from. Codys colours costume 10 in Super Street Fighter IV.
[Image: MwEpK.png]
11-28-2012 03:44 AM
Mass Distraction Offline

(11-28-2012 03:44 AM)BumblebeeCody Wrote:  Meh. Skip KoFXII. It's bad but KoFXIII is amazing.

I can't because I already have it D: Had it since it was released. I just can't get rid of it Dx

I guess I'm one of those crap players then... Although I still can't combo for shit in those games xD
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2012 03:52 AM by Mass Distraction.)
11-28-2012 03:48 AM
retrolinkx Offline
The Rookie.

Given 180 thank(s) in 157 post(s)
I'm not a huge fan of fighters, mostly because I see it nothing more than button mashing, but I love the Soul Calibur series, my favourite is the first.

I only have about 7 fighting games, SSF4 3DS, Soul Calibur 1,2,4,5, Marvel vs Capcom and Smash Bros if that counts.

I still remember at Eurogamer, I went up to an arcade fighting machine, and some guy came up and took the second player, it was Marvel v Capcom and we both played, I won by luck as we were both down to our last guys and I got a lucky hit.

It turned out this guy was like 4th place in some tournament they had, and I just beat him.
11-28-2012 07:37 AM
Mass Distraction Offline

(11-28-2012 07:37 AM)retrolinkx Wrote:  It turned out this guy was like 4th place in some tournament they had, and I just beat him.

Dude, that's pretty awesome Big Grin

I'm actually pretty equal at SF4 with a friend of mine who came in second in Finland's biggest tournament back when the game was released. The difference is that I play these games all the time and he doesn't even own a single fighter. So to say, my practice and his rusting is only keeping us tied Tongue
11-28-2012 10:31 PM