Did You Know Gaming? Forums
Pokemon Did You Knows? - Printable Version

+- Did You Know Gaming? Forums (https://dykg.vgfacts.com)
+-- Forum: Did You Know Gaming? (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Suggestions and Help (/forum-3.html)
+---- Forum: Submit a Did You Know? (/forum-13.html)
+---- Thread: Pokemon Did You Knows? (/thread-69.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Pokemon Did You Knows? - BumblebeeCody - 08-29-2012 08:30 AM

(08-29-2012 03:34 AM)Moriatti Wrote:  Tauros is the fastest normal type IIRC, and has a pretty good attack. Which means he's the fastest Hyper Beam. If you are playing on the cart and not Pokémon Stadium, you don't recharge if you KO the target. Hyper Beam also has a base power of 150 and halves the targets defense. Factor in the STAB Tauros is receiving and....

EDIT: I also recall that Tauros can learn Earthquake and Swords Dance, which means that the only Pokémon that resisted Hyper Beam (rock and ghost) were weak to the only other move you would need. (Recall Gengar's line is also Poison Type and that there is no levitate at this point.)

SECOND EDIT: This also continues Ash's tradition of catching INCREDIBLY good Pokémon (Tauros, Snorlax, Heracross) and using them rarely even if at all.

Damn. Nice info dude! (Y)

RE: Pokemon Did You Knows? - TheRealJDawgz - 08-29-2012 11:31 AM

(08-28-2012 11:53 AM)Chiappini92 Wrote:  
(08-28-2012 10:37 AM)TheRealJDawgz Wrote:  Gyarados was originally planned to be a water/dragon type in Red, Blue, and Green. However, due to the fact that Gyarados would have no weakness (dragon rage did fixed damage in RBGY) and the fact that it has very high stats, it would be too broken and powerful. It was changed to a water/flying type before the game's release. This would explain why Gyarados is so dragon-like in appearance and why dragon-type trainers like Lance used it.

Where are your sources on this exactly? I heard of a rumor like this too but that'd be just like saying that Aerodactyl would be a dragon type instead of rock if it wasn't ressurected or that Serperior was originally meant to be the first grass/dragon as well as the first starter dragon but was changed so that it wouldnt be too powerful or so that everyone didnt pick it.

I can't seem to find any sources, but it was a little tidbit of information that everyone seems to mention in forums or other sites whenever the question of Gyarados being water/flying type.

The thing is, Gyarados is very easily obtained (just catch a Magikarp and level it up a bit) and you can get an unbeatable Gyarados early on. Also, the only connection you can make to Gyarados flying is the fact that it's floating, and it can't even learn any flying type attacks until Gen IV, where it learns just Bounce. The flying type was probably added to make Gyarados counter-able, and maybe it was easier to program (I'm not sure just my guess)

It could be just a rumor, but the fact that it's brought up so much around the internet makes it worth mentioning.

RE: Pokemon Did You Knows? - DarkNerd - 08-29-2012 04:28 PM

Good so far, nothing new though.
God, I just realized: I know way too much about Pokemon. I need a life.

There's a glitch in the original games that switches warp zones. So entering a door might take you somewhere else instead of the usual. If exploited, one could walk around the Hall of Fame room.

Shedinja is said to suck souls of those who look at it's hole. Guess what you see whenever you use it.

Spoink bounces to keep its heart pumping. Guess what happens when it faints. Plus the gem on it's head helps it stay balanced.

Route 4 in B/W is based off Ground Zero. If compared to a map of New York, it's right around Ground Zero. It also has two destroyed towers, filled with Yamask, a Pokemon that was once a human.

Gastrodon was supposed to appear in the Hoenn. Its backsprite showed it as rocky-er, in its West Sea colors, looking similar to a brown Lapras.

Heonn has two Legendaries, Groudon and Kyogre, who are in constant battle. At first, one would wondet why Groudon is equal to Kyogre if it's ground while Kyogre is water. However, Heonn has the most water of any region, telling you exactly whose winning.

Wooper can learn Ice Punch. Seriously. That defies even Pokemon logic.

RE: Pokemon Did You Knows? - Deadalus - 08-29-2012 07:24 PM

Gyrados is a badass pokemon, but lvling magikarp up to lv 20 (usually from lv 5 at the beginning of a new game) is hard..
But when you done it, well damn, the difficulty just dropped 2-3 levels.

Too bad, its no dragon, because it just looks like it. i ever hated the sprite he has in pokemon yellow, it looks like he was pushed into a tuna can.

i searched for a article, to prove, that gyrados was intendet to be a dragon, but i found none.
I just found forums, where they talked about gyrados and why he isnt a dragon.
But nothing to prove this.

RE: Pokemon Did You Knows? - Moriatti - 08-30-2012 01:27 AM

Just switch Magikarp out for a real Pokemon, dude.

At that point, you should have Charmeleon and Nidoran (M) and you're in Mt. Moon, so you can teach Nidoran Watergun really early and then evolve it into Nidoking half-way through, so he'll be able to take any hits you'd be recieving.

My Magikarp usually evolves right outside of Mt.Moon, and I use him to fight Misty.

RE: Pokemon Did You Knows? - Deadalus - 08-30-2012 02:14 AM

Wait, dont you get the fishing pole in Vermilion City?

And yea i do it like this, but it still takes some time, because you switch pokemon and magikarp only gets half the exp a normal pokemon would get in a normal fight.
Not counting trainers, just wild pokemons, because there are not that many trainers i belive.. Confused

Not hard, but time consuming

RE: Pokemon Did You Knows? - Moriatti - 08-30-2012 02:46 AM

500 Pokeyen for a Gyarados is a no-brainer to me, but if you want to wait and get one for 200 after not killing a Magikarp, go ahead.

EDIT: Because of that one guy who sells you a Magikarp is why,

RE: Pokemon Did You Knows? - Deadalus - 08-30-2012 03:17 AM

ooohhhh... that one.. yea okay got that.

True, i never bought it, because, when i was young, i was like "500 pokedollar for that fish? gee, in the next town i can get it for free"..
Well yea almost, you have to catch it first, so 200 for a pokeball.

I can remember, when my magikarp learned tackle and then i thought i could fight with it like normal (because splash is like... you know) but nope, this thing doesnt kill anything, i would say, its impossible to kill something with magikarp, when its the same lv as your opponent.
When its like 20 lv above, ok Big Grin

RE: Pokemon Did You Knows? - TheRealJDawgz - 08-30-2012 10:02 AM

(08-29-2012 04:28 PM)DarkNerd Wrote:  Wooper can learn Ice Punch. Seriously. That defies even Pokemon logic.

Shroomish can learn Focus Punch.

A punching mushroom.

Nintendo Logic

RE: Pokemon Did You Knows? - DarkNerd - 08-30-2012 12:04 PM

Wooper & Shroomish:
Having a threesome with your brain.

Magikarp ain't so useless. Raised properly, with excellent Attack & Speed EVs, it can sweep even Legendaries. The power of Flail & Focus Band. Or was it Focus Sash? IDK, IDC.

RE: Pokemon Did You Knows? - TheRealJDawgz - 08-30-2012 01:36 PM

Wobbuffet was tournament banned in Gen 3 not only because it could counter and trap ANY Pokemon, but a switch into two Wobbuffets would result in a never ending struggle-fest (regarding that they are holding Leftovers.) They changed this in Gen 4 so that Pokemon with Shadow Tag can switch out against each other. They also made it so Struggle always took away 25% of your Pokemon's health. Maybe it was a collectve issue, but it seemed prominent in Wobbuffet.

http://www.smogon.com/rs/pokemon/wobbuffet

In European releases of Platinum, the slot machines were replaced by "game machines" due to Europe being more aggressive towards gambling. You can find coins in the machines and speaking to the receptionist may give you TM64 - Explosion. This change caused future releases of European games to remove the slot machines.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Game_machine

Edited Earthquake to Explosion

RE: Pokemon Did You Knows? - BumblebeeCody - 08-31-2012 12:46 AM

(08-30-2012 01:36 PM)TheRealJDawgz Wrote:  Wobbuffet was tournament banned in Gen 3 not only because it could counter and trap ANY Pokemon, but a switch into two Wobbuffets would result in a never ending struggle-fest (regarding that they are holding Leftovers.) They changed this in Gen 4 so that Pokemon with Shadow Tag can switch out against each other. They also made it so Struggle always took away 25% of your Pokemon's health. Maybe it was a collectve issue, but it seemed prominent in Wobbuffet.

http://www.smogon.com/rs/pokemon/wobbuffet

I thought that Wobbuffet and Wynaut were broken ubers which is why they were banned. As for Black and White I wouldn't know if they were fixed/nerfed.

RE: Pokemon Did You Knows? - zinja - 08-31-2012 01:58 AM

According to Junichi Masuda, the reason why LeafGreen did not become WaterBlue outside of Japan was for the following reasons: A leaf is a symbol of peace, while fire and water are opposing concepts and thus would seem more like a conflict. A leaf is also an easier concept to grasp and translate into other languages, and in this world of conflicts, the creators wanted to give a name suggestive of a peaceful world. Game Freak also wanted a colorful drawing of a Bulbasaur family member on the boxart. Masuda explains that, as with legendary Pokémon, creating a title for each Pokémon game that can be used and easily understood in all countries is not an easy task. - Source

In every game starting with Pokémon Crystal, if the player chooses to name the Pokémon the same name as before, the Name Rater will exclaim "It looks the same, yet it is vastly superior!"- Source

Poké Balls are inspired by the capsules for gashapon machines, which contain small, handheld toys. - Source

Slowpoke's National Pokedex number is 79. Coincidentally, Slowpoke's weight (according to the Pokedex) is about 79 pounds. (Source) The same goes for Scyther, #123 and weighs about 123 pounds. (Source)

RE: Pokemon Did You Knows? - retrolinkx - 08-31-2012 04:27 AM

In the original Pokémon Red, Blue, Green and I think Yellow, once the player receives the Pokédex from Prof. Oak and then goes on to beat their rival without buying a Pokéball, nor evolving their starter, the player can receive 5 Pokéballs from Prof. Oak telling him that you need to capture Pokémon to get them in your Pokédex.

Source

Also In Gold and Silver, if the player evolves their starter before they get a Pokédex the game believes you've already got it due to the fact you shouldn't have a second Pokémon since you don't have an Pokéballs yet, and you only get them after you get the Pokédex.

RE: Pokemon Did You Knows? - Moriatti - 08-31-2012 12:12 PM

(08-28-2012 11:53 AM)Chiappini92 Wrote:  i would say, its impossible to kill something with magikarp, when its the same lv as your opponent.
When its like 20 lv above, ok Big Grin

Guy on here is obnoxious, but there's a number of baton pass strategies like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlkTctsmKkE

The Wobuffet stuff just doesn't matter as much now because there's a qide variety of mixed attackers, especially in Ubers, with stuff like Psychostrike.