Did You Know Gaming? Forums
Anyone else miss the Gameboy? - Printable Version

+- Did You Know Gaming? Forums (https://dykg.vgfacts.com)
+-- Forum: Gaming (/forum-15.html)
+--- Forum: Gaming Discussion (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Anyone else miss the Gameboy? (/thread-314.html)

Pages: 1 2

Anyone else miss the Gameboy? - Arjahn - 06-29-2012 08:53 AM

I know that's a pretty easy question to answer, but I really miss when we had fun mobile games and simple consoles that didn't need gimmicks or addons to be fun, just high quality games. Now with all of the touch screen games and the ridiculous rise of mobile games, I'm really starting to miss when the Gameboy was top dog and Pokemon was semi-original.

RE: Anyone else miss the Gameboy? - Mr.Katana - 06-29-2012 09:01 AM

I miss it deeply. Zelda, Pokemon, and Wario's land were like the first games I had ever played on it when I got it and then the Gameboy became a nice addition to my gaming. I would have still had it if I hadn't accidentally broke it. Sad

RE: Anyone else miss the Gameboy? - Beardy - 06-29-2012 09:27 AM

I kinda miss the fat, chunky nature of it. Yeah, I can download some games for it on the 3DS... but how awesome was it to get a new game on the Gameboy? Plus all the peripherals for it which would NOT fly today (Circle pad not withstanding). Speakers, magnifying screen, light.... it ended up like a monolith and that was somehow incredibly awesome.

RE: Anyone else miss the Gameboy? - Player One - 06-29-2012 09:35 AM

I'm gonna say no i don't miss it. But that's mainly due to the fact I still play mine on a some what regular basis.

RE: Anyone else miss the Gameboy? - retrolinkx - 06-29-2012 09:48 AM

I loved the Gameboy, Colour, and Advance, they were all great handhelds, and incredibly fun to play on the toilet.

I guess the memories you have on a handheld are memorable than on a console.

RE: Anyone else miss the Gameboy? - Mr.Katana - 06-29-2012 10:01 AM

(06-29-2012 09:48 AM)retrolinkx Wrote:  I loved the Gameboy, Colour, and Advance, they were all great handhelds, and incredibly fun to play on the toilet.

I guess the memories you have on a handheld are memorable than on a console.

Then the Gameboy Advance SP which was still pretty fun to play with.

RE: Anyone else miss the Gameboy? - Xannidel - 06-29-2012 10:08 AM

I started with the Gameboy Color and I played the crap out of Pokemon Blue (still do actually) and not only did I miss the old versions of the game (they changed the gambling men into gaming men to appeal to younger kids I suppose) and I also miss the music which always got me so pumped (or in the pokemon tower, scared)

RE: Anyone else miss the Gameboy? - cingchris - 06-29-2012 10:22 AM

I also miss those days when I didn't have to be at a TV to play a quality game for hours on end.

RE: Anyone else miss the Gameboy? - Beardy - 06-29-2012 10:41 AM

I remember walking round Thorpe Park on a school trip with my Gameboy case and selling random games to kids on other school trips.

Edit - I was a kid too, by the way!

RE: Anyone else miss the Gameboy? - Chomp - 06-29-2012 10:52 AM

Oh I miss it. I still have my clear purple Gameboy Color. We also have an original Gameboy but it only works if you press in the battery compartment. I guess some stuff is getting loose inside it. Tetris on that thing is the bomb.

I always thought the link cable was the coolest thing. When my brother and I battled our Pokemon it was a dead serious competition.

RE: Anyone else miss the Gameboy? - Nicknclank - 06-29-2012 12:02 PM

Yeah, well, I wasn't old enough to get a REAL gameboy, I had a gameboy SP... but I know how you guys feel...

Wait, actually, no, my DS still plays my gameboy SP games (it's an old version of the DS), so I still get to love my dear old Robopon 2 game ^_^

RE: Anyone else miss the Gameboy? - cingchris - 06-29-2012 12:08 PM

(06-29-2012 12:02 PM)Nicknclank Wrote:  Yeah, well, I wasn't old enough to get a REAL gameboy, I had a gameboy SP... but I know how you guys feel...

Wait, actually, no, my DS still plays my gameboy SP games (it's an old version of the DS), so I still get to love my dear old Robopon 2 game ^_^

My old DS actually became just a two screened GBA-SP because the DS cartridge slot broke...then I lost the charger and now it's just a hunk of plastic and electronics. Sad

RE: Anyone else miss the Gameboy? - 7Soul - 06-29-2012 12:13 PM

I miss it... oh wait, it's right here in my drawer!

RE: Anyone else miss the Gameboy? - Zaliphone - 06-29-2012 12:48 PM

I don't not miss it, but it has definitely been improved upon with the DS and its iterations. I love my 3DS, but if I could play GBA games on it without having to rebuy them, that would be awesome.

RE: Anyone else miss the Gameboy? - Skarro - 06-29-2012 01:05 PM

(06-29-2012 08:53 AM)Arjahn Wrote:  I know that's a pretty easy question to answer, but I really miss when we had fun mobile games and simple consoles that didn't need gimmicks or addons to be fun, just high quality games. Now with all of the touch screen games and the ridiculous rise of mobile games, I'm really starting to miss when the Gameboy was top dog and Pokemon was semi-original.

You aren't required to use the gimmicks, The new mario bros, and pokemon black and white are great examples. I think it's a natural resentment towards games becoming more popular as a whole because of gimmicks that make people nostalgia over old consoles. Example:

Mario Paint then: WOW!!! SO ORIGINAL!! THIS IS INCREDIBLE!

If mario paint was released today instead: UHHH! CAUSAL GAMER FILTH! I MISS CLASSIC GAMING!