Did You Know Gaming? Forums
OCD things you do in games. - Printable Version

+- Did You Know Gaming? Forums (https://dykg.vgfacts.com)
+-- Forum: Gaming (/forum-15.html)
+--- Forum: Gaming Discussion (/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: OCD things you do in games. (/thread-1875.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

OCD things you do in games. - retrolinkx - 12-09-2012 12:54 AM

You know, that thing you ALWAYS do in any game where something comes up.

For example, I always pick up collectables whenever I see them, even though I know I will never find them all, because I never invest time into game to do things like that unless I really like it.

Whenever I find allies in an FPS, I will usually try to give them weapons and such to keep them alive for as long as possible, even going back checkpoints if I fail to keep them alive.

Reloading after every kill/shot.

Probably more, but I can't remember.

RE: OCD things you do in games. - Nuudoru - 12-09-2012 12:57 AM

I can relate to reloading after every kill/shot.

I also need to save twice if I'm going to quit a game.

It's impossible for me to not start with the first game if the sequels has continues the story of the games before.

RE: OCD things you do in games. - Xannidel - 12-09-2012 01:06 AM

I reload REGARDLESS to how many bullets I used up.
I hoard consumable items in RPGs and MMORPGs because I feel I will need them later even if I out grow their uses.
I always save twice before going to a new area.
I always play the good side to a game before the evil side.
I NEVER enjoy playing a human in any RPG/MMORPG setting.
I ALWAYS play the caster class if available in games.
I always like to play games in chronological order.

There are probably more but I can't recall of them yet.

RE: OCD things you do in games. - BumblebeeCody - 12-09-2012 01:06 AM

I dunno if I would consider them OCD but:

Reloading after every kill slot is the best though. No need for running out of a clip when you need it and when you need to gun some enemies down, you know we won't here that 'click'. Smart if anything....same though. It's the worst in RE6 Mercenaries when you don't reload often.

Having a clean inventory. Fallout 3 drove me nuts because you pick up so much crap. Everything I don't need or isn't that powerful MUST be sold. Having a messy inventory makes me....twitch. Currently playing Darksiders 2 and I pick up everything, but sell it all and only keep that one weapon part I am using, or keep the super awesome boss weapons. Borderlands 2 was the WORST. So many rare shields and guns such as: Gearbox guns or items given from the previous Vault Hunters that I wanted to keep, but my inventory and bank were full. Getting the shakes man.

Currently playing Black 2 and if one of my Pokemon get Paralysed, I'll exit the cave; no matter how deep I am into it, and go to a Pokemon center to heal them. That's if I don't a have a berry/spray/item to heal that status.
Also on Black 2, need have the Pokemon with perfect IVs. Anything less than 31 gets killed or beaten.

Games like DmC, if I screw up a combo or the enemy placement is wrong, I'll restart that area(even if it's after 3 seconds of playing) till I get that perfect combo.

If I really like the game, then I MUST have all the achievements from it.

Then I guess when doing a speedrun, a single eff up means a reset, even a small 10 second loss really gets to you.

I also save twice on most long games. Zelda/Borderlands/Pokemon.

RE: OCD things you do in games. - Mass Distraction - 12-09-2012 01:55 AM

Collecting every collectable I see.

Trying to keep all NPCs alive in whatever game I play.

Reloading after only a few shots.

If I find a new game I might like I just have to buy and/or play all the previous titles before getting to the new game.

Saving again if I don't see/hear the game actually getting saved.

In RPGs I always have to have at least one of each item. This has led me to impossible journeys to find the rarest ones.

Saving in a specific spot. For example, in Pokémon I have to leave my character so that he won't block any doors and is possibly in a corner of some kind.

RE: OCD things you do in games. - cingchris - 12-09-2012 02:31 AM

One OCD thing I do, (apart from common things such as reloading all the time on shooters) is I will always try to do things perfectly in a video game, like in the Hitman series I will always try for the silent assassin rating on every level after I beat the game once, and a more rage inducing example is trying to get A ranking on every level of Super Meat Boy before I move on to the next level.

RE: OCD things you do in games. - Arjahn - 12-09-2012 02:34 AM

Every time I killed two guys in Half Life 2 I HAD to save, just in case one of the next guys got me down to 3 health with a shotgun.
Oh, and I actually have OCD, so......
IN YOUR FACE!
[Image: 1263563485_dancing_kids.gif]

RE: OCD things you do in games. - Lightmatt - 12-09-2012 06:28 AM

In any Zelda game, if I see any rupees on the ground, (regardless if I have maxed out my wallet) I have to pick them up.

RE: OCD things you do in games. - Ouberry_13 - 12-09-2012 07:41 AM

Always save twice whenever a save point/enemy-clear area is present.
Reloading after every kill
Always checking to make sure an enemy isn't behind that one door off in the distance
Always playing as a mage character in MMO's
I must have a multiple of 10 of any health potion/tonic/food/etc. or else I feel off
Talking to every NPC I see, just to be sure I don't miss anything
I must pick up anything an enemy drops, even if I know I will only sell it once I find a merchant
My health must be full whenever I'm not in battle
If one of my party members in an RPG has a status ailment, it must be recovered in the next turn
In an RPG, my entire party must be equally leveled, because I always have a nagging feeling the game is gonna force me to play as one of the characters I don't like.
If playing a co-op game, my entire team must be alive at the end
If playing a fighting game, I never use supers or ultras on the first round, only normal and special attacks

RE: OCD things you do in games. - Mass Distraction - 12-09-2012 10:47 AM

(12-09-2012 07:41 AM)Ouberry_13 Wrote:  I must have a multiple of 10 of any health potion/tonic/food/etc. or else I feel off
Talking to every NPC I see, just to be sure I don't miss anything
I must pick up anything an enemy drops, even if I know I will only sell it once I find a merchant
My health must be full whenever I'm not in battle
In an RPG, my entire party must be equally leveled, because I always have a nagging feeling the game is gonna force me to play as one of the characters I don't like.

I can relate.

Other things I forgot to mention: When I'm playing a racing or skating game I just have to get that gold. If I mess up even the tiniest bit I have to press restart. This has become such an habit of mine that in every one of those games I can propably restart my game in one hundreth of a second.

RE: OCD things you do in games. - Mass Distraction - 12-19-2012 02:47 AM

Updating my OCDs. I have a lot of 'em it seems.

If I buy a game used and the cover has some unidentified stains on it I just have to wash it. I just recently bought Phoenix Wright: Justice For All and the covers were splattered with some yellow crap. Ended up washing it in the sink.

Another thing: If I ever get any vouchers etc. with my games I shove them in the covers with the instruction booklets and stuff instead of throwing them away after redeeming the codes.

RE: OCD things you do in games. - retrolinkx - 12-19-2012 04:58 AM

^

Speaking of that, the case that I got Skies of Arcadia in was terrible, had about 30 stickers on there from hundreds of stores with prices of the game, and then when I finally took them off after those many years, they had sticker residue I had to wash off as well. It's still scratched.

It's hard to think about how it came to be with me, I found it in a charity shop for a tenner, but the amount of stickers and such that was plastered onto it was incredible, the owners must've just left them on for some reason.

RE: OCD things you do in games. - Zaliphone - 12-19-2012 01:55 PM

Because almost everything I do has been said I'll just say that whenever a mini-cutscene starts (like the characters are talking to each other, but you're still playing) I will have to listen to the whole thing. Sometimes this requires just randomly standing around for a little while, but I can't just not hear it. I must know what they say!

RE: OCD things you do in games. - Mass Distraction - 12-20-2012 12:22 AM

@retrolinkx: You should've just added your own sticker on there Tongue

(12-19-2012 01:55 PM)Zaliphone Wrote:  Because almost everything I do has been said I'll just say that whenever a mini-cutscene starts (like the characters are talking to each other, but you're still playing) I will have to listen to the whole thing. Sometimes this requires just randomly standing around for a little while, but I can't just not hear it. I must know what they say!
This is why I use subtitles in games. I can read while I run!

RE: OCD things you do in games. - SERIOUSLY THOUGH - 12-20-2012 12:49 AM

The most OCD thing I do in a game is replay sections because I missed some kind of event that made my character sad. I know it's just a game and that it won't affect the game but damn...

It culminated in AC:II when Leonardo goes for a hug. Now, I don't know if anyone else amongst you have played AC:II on PC but the action icons don't actually tell you what button to press. It doesn't go "PRESS U" it just shows some icon, and woe betide you if you haven't memorised every single button. I haven't been playing for too long and am not familiar with what the bloody icon that pops up on my screen represents so I frantically press all the buttons but too late... Leonardo just gives a sad-face and goes into his bottega... Sad

Minor spoilers
At 1m34