Did You Know Gaming? Forums
How did you get into Pokemon? - Printable Version

+- Did You Know Gaming? Forums (https://dykg.vgfacts.com)
+-- Forum: Gaming (/forum-15.html)
+--- Forum: Pokemon (/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: How did you get into Pokemon? (/thread-1322.html)

Pages: 1 2

How did you get into Pokemon? - Kai - 09-03-2012 01:05 PM

Tell us all about how you got into Pokemon. What got you in at first, (whether it was the anime, manga, games and such) and how it all happened.

I'll start off with myself. I remember when I was about 4 or so I watched the very first episode of the show on television. It might've been a rerun or not but I fell in love with it instantly. I would eagerly watch any episode I could catch, all the while my mom fueling my new obsession with toys from the show and the cards. I was an only child back then so she would watch the episodes with me whenever she could. It truly was a blissful time.

I had lost interest in the series at some point during the Johto season. It was only in 2007 that a friend of a friend of mine showed me his Pokemon Diamond that I immediately got hooked into the game and the series then on. Believe it or not I had no idea that the games even existed back then because I distanced myself from Pokemon so much. That made Diamond my first Pokemon game

So how about you all?

RE: How did you get into Pokemon? - Berry - 09-03-2012 11:04 PM

Playing Pokemon Blue.Then i lost that. Then When Pokemon Leafgreen came out,I was like, What the hell. And purchase it.So mine was like Regrets basically that my Bulbasaur and my other pokemon never made it to the elite four and how powerful they were gonna be.

RE: How did you get into Pokemon? - Stan - 09-03-2012 11:09 PM

I just watched the anime (only Indigo Plateau, though) and then made my research and got into games. I firstly played Pokemon Blue then continued with the others.

RE: How did you get into Pokemon? - Hexadecimal - 09-04-2012 05:40 AM

Two boys that I used to play with were really into it. Of course I wanted to fit in, so I tried watching the anime first, and then my mother was kind enough to buy me a Game Boy Color along with Pokemon Red. The rest is history.

RE: How did you get into Pokemon? - SERIOUSLY THOUGH - 09-04-2012 05:52 AM

My parents bought me Pokémon Blue. The rest is history, sweet sweet history

RE: How did you get into Pokemon? - Zaliphone - 09-04-2012 06:56 AM

Some people in the first grade, who went on to be my best friends, talked about it a lot. When I bought by GBASP I got Pokemon Ruby. I played the shit out of it. And went on to collect the cards, watch the anime, and continue to play a shit load of Pokemon.

RE: How did you get into Pokemon? - retrolinkx - 09-04-2012 06:57 AM

My Mother read about it in the paper, it said that it was the best thing for children, so she bought Pokemon Red and Blue for my 2 older brothers, since I was about 3 at the time they were in England and she got them, I do remember playing it a lot, mostly my brothers versions, my Father got Yellow when he went to America, and over the few years before Gold and Silver came out, I played those a lot, my first Pokémon game I owned was Gold, I completed it at the age of about 5 and was very happy with myself.

I got into the Anime when it was broadcast here during 1998-9, I remember one day when I woke up just before this episode ended, and I was really sad because I thought I'd never see this episode again.

Little did I know, the internet with all it's amazing power could help me watch it, and I'm trying to be up to date with the series, currently on episode 411.

I'm happy I got into Pokémon during the first Gen, and continued through, Pokémon is a great series, and it was a huge part of my childhood, I don't know what I'd be like today if I didn't play the games, and watch the anime.

RE: How did you get into Pokemon? - Nicknclank - 09-05-2012 12:04 PM

I don't remember where my love of pokemon came from. I know that I loved the anime when I was younger (I think the first show I saw the actual FIRST episode of the series O_O), so maybe it came from there. Yeah, that's probably it. I still remembered the theme song after 9-10 years.

I think that my first experience with a pokemon game was when I played Pokemon Snap. The game confused the hell out of me thought: how can you evolve a charmeleon by throwing it in lava? Why would a frekin fire-dog sleep in a pool of lava? Why the hell did I find a charmander, a squirtle AND a bulbasaur? Anyway, it was a fun game.

After that, I think I got more into the game when I played Pokemon Stadium. I was able to learn about the different types of pokemons, and I was able to learn types and such.

Finally, I played pokemon Ruby. And the rest is frekin' history.

RE: How did you get into Pokemon? - Symphony - 09-06-2012 07:48 AM

Me and my friends used to gather in my house everyday at 5:30 PM to watch the anime on CN. And we sang the goddamned intro song every time.
Then my parents bought me my N64, which came with Pokemon Stadium 1. My neighbor had a gameboy with pokemon red and I used to borrow it to play on the 64. Later on, I played Silver, Ruby and Emerald. Stopping on the DS games, mainly because of lack of time and lost of interest.

RE: How did you get into Pokemon? - fuzz2x4 - 09-07-2012 06:36 AM

i never had a game boy til i was 8 and my parents got me the most popular game at the time witch was fire red the awsomeness made ma face explode

RE: How did you get into Pokemon? - BasilZero - 09-11-2012 09:11 AM

Pokemon was really huge in the late 1990s.

Card games, portable games and of course the anime that was running.

I remember watching the anime every morning (even the re-runs), I remember I became so obsessed with Pokemon one time that I even got a demo cassette from a special event at class (where we get points for doing something good or having good behavior), I wasted all my points on a 3 minute demo video of Pokemon Big Grin.

Afterwards I got into Pokemon (gaming) through my purchase my GameBoy Color and into the card game (not as much as the actual video gaming).

Ever since that time, every single portable Nintendo system I purchased, I always purchased it with a Pokemon game!

GBC = Pokemon Yellow
GBA = Pokemon Ruby
NDS = Pokemon Diamond

RE: How did you get into Pokemon? - Fox - 09-22-2012 05:10 AM

My first ACTUAL Pokemon game was Pokemon Leafgreen on the GBA but i was only a kid so i had to idea what was going on. The first Pokemon game I played and UNDERSTOOD was Pokemon Emerald.

RE: How did you get into Pokemon? - Artwark - 10-23-2012 02:17 PM

I played the cards. Then my cousin showed me the game. At first I had problems trying to figure out where to go. Eventually I watched the anime and got the hang of pokemon knowing that the cards are different than the games.

RE: How did you get into Pokemon? - BumblebeeCody - 10-23-2012 08:11 PM

Back in '95.
Friend: Here play this game
Me(at 5): Aw shi- nigga, this is dope fo' real!

And then the Pokemon cards and cartoon sealed the deal.

RE: How did you get into Pokemon? - Xannidel - 10-23-2012 11:52 PM

Hmm for me I was just looking around for a gameboy color game to buy with my new gameboy Color and saw Pokemon Blue and thought this might be fun. How right I was. When I got into high school I stopped with Pokemon because I thought it was more for kids then from teenagers and when I got into college I replayed Platinum and fell in love with the series again. The anime was okay when I was a kid and the cards I still have and may never sell.