Did You Know Gaming? Forums
Bodyharvest is the reason we have GTA 3 - Printable Version

+- Did You Know Gaming? Forums (https://dykg.vgfacts.com)
+-- Forum: Did You Know Gaming? (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Suggestions and Help (/forum-3.html)
+---- Forum: Submit a Did You Know? (/forum-13.html)
+---- Thread: Bodyharvest is the reason we have GTA 3 (/thread-1204.html)

Bodyharvest is the reason we have GTA 3 - Aimbuttenz - 08-22-2012 06:05 PM

Did you know the grandfather and game that made GTA 3 what it is today, was a little game called Body Harvest developed by DMA in 1998 for the N64. It was one the first games to be a true 3D open world sandbox game that took place in 3rd person. DMA took that gameplay aspect and created GTA 3 around it and look what it has became today Smile

I'm sure some of you knew this but I saw the video on DIY for GTA and thought that this should have been in there since its the very core reason we have gta the way it is today

RE: Bodyharvest is the reason we have GTA 3 - DidYouKnowGaming - 08-22-2012 10:12 PM

Nintendo were actually in talks with DMA about becoming a second party developer, and Body Harvest served as a kind of test for both parties. Apparently Nintendo messed them around, asking for things to be changed. DMA backed out. In retrospect, a pretty big loss for Nintendo.

RE: Bodyharvest is the reason we have GTA 3 - Chiappini92 - 08-23-2012 06:44 AM

(08-22-2012 10:12 PM)DidYouKnowGaming Wrote:  Nintendo were actually in talks with DMA about becoming a second party developer, and Body Harvest served as a kind of test for both parties. Apparently Nintendo messed them around, asking for things to be changed. DMA backed out. In retrospect, a pretty big loss for Nintendo.

Not really I mean its not like they would have ever allowed them to publish a game like GTA III anyways. Heck, they probably wouldn't even allow them to publish the original two GTA games due to Nintendo's strict "family friendly" image thats ultimately held it back all these years. If DMA stayed with Nintendo GTA would have never been invented, and Jack Thompson would be trying to get the Power Rangers cancelled from television right now instead of bashing video games all the time.

RE: Bodyharvest is the reason we have GTA 3 - DidYouKnowGaming - 08-23-2012 04:47 PM

(08-23-2012 06:44 AM)Chiappini92 Wrote:  
(08-22-2012 10:12 PM)DidYouKnowGaming Wrote:  Nintendo were actually in talks with DMA about becoming a second party developer, and Body Harvest served as a kind of test for both parties. Apparently Nintendo messed them around, asking for things to be changed. DMA backed out. In retrospect, a pretty big loss for Nintendo.

Not really I mean its not like they would have ever allowed them to publish a game like GTA III anyways. Heck, they probably wouldn't even allow them to publish the original two GTA games due to Nintendo's strict "family friendly" image thats ultimately held it back all these years. If DMA stayed with Nintendo GTA would have never been invented, and Jack Thompson would be trying to get the Power Rangers cancelled from television right now instead of bashing video games all the time.

They're great developers, and could have worked wonders with Nintendo. Wasn't really saying Nintendo lost GTA.

RE: Bodyharvest is the reason we have GTA 3 - BumblebeeCody - 08-24-2012 03:33 AM

Can't really say Nintendo (ever) had strict family friendly image. Especially when they signed deals with Capcom to make RE4 (all that gore,yo) along with the remakes of the RE series. Even with the Wii they have games like Mad World and No More Heroes so I do find this be a loss for a solid Third Party game on the GameCube.

RE: Bodyharvest is the reason we have GTA 3 - Chiappini92 - 08-24-2012 10:02 AM

(08-24-2012 03:33 AM)BumblebeeCody Wrote:  

Can't really say Nintendo (ever) had strict family friendly image. Especially when they signed deals with Capcom to make RE4 (all that gore,yo) along with the remakes of the RE series. Even with the Wii they have games like Mad World and No More Heroes so I do find this be a loss for a solid Third Party game on the GameCube.

I know, but Nintendo had no choice but to have those games published for its adult fans. Due to all the controversy of "Mad World" Sega decided to step down from making M rated games for the Wii. Honestly Mad World wasn't that bad, it was gory but unrealistically gory, but Nintendo still get shit whenever a game like that comes out on its platform. When Manhunt came out for Gamecube omg forget about it. That was just a trainwreck. San Andreas was never even released for Gamecube even after it came out to Xbox. Nintendo has had violent games in the past(Conker anyone?) but everyone point fingers at them whenever it comes out, despite the fact that ultra-violent games come out on Xbox 360 and PS3, its expected. But not Nintendo games. This strict stereotype might be something that they can never shake off, no matter how much the occasionaly violent exclusive comes out. Nintendo will always be seen as the "kids console"

RE: Bodyharvest is the reason we have GTA 3 - Aimbuttenz - 08-25-2012 01:12 PM

I'm just saying grand theft auto today was HUGELY inspired by what DMA did with Body Harvest with its gameplay and concept. I.E it being a open world sandbox game where you could take vehicles and drive around various places and even blow shit up like buildings. The game even had the same mission style (Where you talk to someone and they give you a job in which it all builds up to the final event, similar to what GTA did perse) in a 3rd person perspective. It was something unheard of and never really done before. Of course we all know DMA created GTA 3 and became Rockstar North. DMA just took everything they did with BH and implemented a new world and different gameplay mechanics but still kept the core gameplay that they did in Body Harvest. Face it without Body Harvest GTA what it is today probably wouldn't have happened for a very longtime.

RE: Bodyharvest is the reason we have GTA 3 - Chiappini92 - 08-28-2012 08:02 AM

I guess you can say Body Harvest is indeed the prototype for GTA, however the only inspirations that seem to come from it are open world gameplay, vehicles, and the ability to destroy objects and people. I guess you can say the targeting system was also a precursor to GTA's though the comparisons end there. The theme and atmosphere of the game are completely different. I guess you can say it inspired the "style" of it all.

RE: Bodyharvest is the reason we have GTA 3 - Berry - 08-28-2012 09:09 AM

(08-24-2012 10:02 AM)Chiappini92 Wrote:  
(08-24-2012 03:33 AM)BumblebeeCody Wrote:  

I know, but Nintendo had no choice but to have those games published for its adult fans. Due to all the controversy of "Mad World" Sega decided to step down from making M rated games for the Wii. Honestly Mad World wasn't that bad, it was gory but unrealistically gory, but Nintendo still get shit whenever a game like that comes out on its platform. When Manhunt came out for Gamecube omg forget about it. That was just a trainwreck. San Andreas was never even released for Gamecube even after it came out to Xbox. Nintendo has had violent games in the past(Conker anyone?) but everyone point fingers at them whenever it comes out, despite the fact that ultra-violent games come out on Xbox 360 and PS3, its expected. But not Nintendo games. This strict stereotype might be something that they can never shake off, no matter how much the occasionaly violent exclusive comes out. Nintendo will always be seen as the "kids console"

Don't get me started on gamers and non-gamers today, They want Mature violent games on the nintedo console and Yet everybody goes insane and wild when a Hardcore Mature game comes out of the Nintendo Platform . Shame on you world,you don't know what you want anymore.

[Image: n50241cc3a5aa4.gif]